Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Synthetic oil

Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic oil

Will be going to get my first oil change maybe in Dec/Jan want to use Synthetic motor oil. I believe it takes 5 quarts. What should I go buy, and where?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Mobile 1
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Mobile 1
X2 with a OEM filter. BTW the truck takes 5.5 qts.
Make sure you that you keep a water bottle underneath the little spout when takeing off the oil flter. Go check you'll see what I am talking about.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

AMSOIL
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I use 5w20 Mobile One in both my Escaoe and Yota
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
i use 6 quarts of 5w30 mobile one....and if i just cant afford it i get castrol gtx highmilage
Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
im currently using Royal Purple but will make the switch to Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge on the next oil change
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Ding King has a spectacular aura aboutDing King has a spectacular aura aboutDing King has a spectacular aura about

Ding King's Tacoma Gallery
MOBILE 1 with TOYOTA FILTER. This is the choice of the intelligent ones.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Compare your synthetics...

Just make the comparison and an "intelligent" decision for yourself...

Amsoil 5W30
Mobil 1 5W30

Both are extremely good oils; almost equal in most specs...
However, one oil will take you 10,000 miles farther between oil changes - that means less money spent on oil changes and more $$ for mods
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
I got Mobile 1 5w30 today.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
PowerGuy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Electrical Power Pro
Name: Mac
PowerGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded_Dawg View Post
AMSOIL
X2
Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
After taking a class with a professor who worked for GM for 35+ years I would say do not make your first oil change the switch to synthetic. Make it the 3rd or 4th. Just my observations from reading and hearing what he has to say. Some people will disagree and with all respect they can. He mentioned as early as the 2nd but hey whatever lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
Cactusone is on a distinguished road
Cactusone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra
+1 with wix filter
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hijack the thread. I have 72k on my truck and still use the regular oil the truck came with. I was told at around 30k from the dealer that there is no point in switching to synthetic at this point, and said if I was going too, I should have done right from the begining.

Is there any truth in this? Is it still worth switching to synthetic?

Thanks,