Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Whats wrong with ethanol?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chandler
TacomaMan07's Tacoma Gallery
Whats wrong with ethanol?

I have been using Chevron, 10% eth, and I have increased my in city mpg from low 17s to 18.4, 19.3 and now 20.1. I was just wondering whats so bad about ethanol? It seems to help with the mpg....
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Ethanol reduces your mileage. What you're seeing just plain ain't from the ethanol, hombre.

Quick google search: http://zfacts.com/p/436.html

Increased ethanol consumption also increases corn prices.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about trucks, I haven't noticed a difference but it makes motorcycles run like crap. It separates out in the tank and causes popping and crackling. The dealers actually told me to rock the bike side to side before starting it to 'mix' the gas up. Also forced the use of a fuel additive to help the engine. I think those problems are more limited to smaller displacement engines though. Otherwise, I've just heard a lot of rumors.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It eat the fuel lines and gaskets in the carb on my boat pretty quick. The mechanic had 15 boats that had the same problem. I now add stabil marine fuel treatment to every tank. It seems to cause more problems for older engines and engines that sit a lot like boats, lawnmowers, etc.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Ethanol reduces your mileage. What you're seeing just plain ain't from the ethanol, hombre.

Quick google search: http://zfacts.com/p/436.html

Increased ethanol consumption also increases corn prices.

^^^What he said!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
It eat the fuel lines and gaskets in the carb on my boat pretty quick. The mechanic had 15 boats that had the same problem. I now add stabil marine fuel treatment to every tank. It seems to cause more problems for older engines and engines that sit a lot like boats, lawnmowers, etc.

That used to be true in older auto engines. The newer generation of vehicles have changed the composition of the rubber and gaskets to prevent this.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Any way you look at it ends up being the same thing.........Another component for gasoline production that is subject to market pressures, supply & pricing that does nothing to help the consumer or the environment. It only helps fuck with pump prices when ethanol supply is low, gives less emissions but less mpg so big fuckin deal & helps nothing but the government and suppliers' fill their pockets. Whatever takes more energy to produce than you get out of it is no answer or solution. Ethanol in gasoline is just filler, similar to filling your parents clear alchohol bottles with water. It's just cheating and dilluting, there is no gain.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Camdan will become famous soon enoughCamdan will become famous soon enough
Name: Cameron
Camdan's Tacoma Gallery
I was running staight 93 with ethanol in my 4wheeler and it would just occasionaly go dead. The local shop said it was probably the ethanol as it is terrible for small engines and recomended an additive now everything seems to be much better.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota owner's manual accepts up to 10% ethanol, so no worries about engine/fuel system durability.

I use Shell V-Power (no ethanol) and Exxon Supreme (up to 10%). With mpg data tallied over 5 tanks each, average mpg figures with the two fuels are within one decimal place of each other (17.5 mpg with Shell, 17.4 mpg with Exxon).

Ethanol made from corn competes with human food supply. Some researchers consider that to be a crime against humanity. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7065061.stm
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
MMJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jack
MMJ's Tacoma Gallery
i just filled up at shell and used their v-power and noticed a sticker stating there was 10% ethanol in the gas but didn't specify what octane unless it's in all 3? i noticed you said "shell v-power (no ethanol)" i'm wondering if its the same for every state?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
I now add stabil marine fuel treatment to every tank. It seems to cause more problems for older engines and engines that sit a lot like boats, lawnmowers, etc.
Stabil is good stuff, we use it in our dirtbikes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJ View Post
i just filled up at shell and used their v-power and noticed a sticker stating there was 10% ethanol in the gas but didn't specify what octane unless it's in all 3? i noticed you said "shell v-power (no ethanol)" i'm wondering if its the same for every state?
NOT the same in every state. Not even the same within a state, or area within a state.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
Slippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to beholdSlippy_McBrownfingers is a splendid one to behold
Firefighter:
Name: Slippy
Slippy_McBrownfingers's Tacoma Gallery
This web site attempts to track stations selling ethanol free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like feeding my engine corn. What I especially don't like is my government telling me that I have to feed my engine corn.

Thanks for that pure-gas site. Looks like there's one or two more gas stations near me that still sells real gas.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
jdwoodie is a jewel in the roughjdwoodie is a jewel in the roughjdwoodie is a jewel in the roughjdwoodie is a jewel in the rough

jdwoodie's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately it is only going to get worse. The corn growers / Ethanol producing companies are even pushing for more Ethanol to be placed in to mix (of course to increase their profits). The car manufacturers are screaming that their engines are not designed for anything over 10% (which is bad enough), but of course the EPA says "It seems to be ok in the testing we've done". How many times have we heard that phrase with the FDA and the medicines they've put on the market only to end up hearing about buba and buba's law firm now encouraging clients to sue because that drug is giving everyone some kind of weird cancer or disease.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...from-10-now-/1
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
There has to be a better use for corn squeezins than putting it in gasoline.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
There has to be a better use for corn squeezins than putting it in gasoline.
I say if the lobbyists want to use it so bad then why don't THEY eat it.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
lol

Corn Producers vs Gasoline producers... haha I think I'll side with big corn versus big oil since big oil has been raping us for years... btw its extremely hard to find a non-ethonol gas station around here so f'it.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The study I read from Ohio Farm Bureau said that corn produces 1.1 unit of energy, but costs 1.0 unit of energy to produce (fuel and fertilizer).
The only benefit I see for corn is to reduce our dependance on foreign fuel.

Ethanol absorbs moisture. That moisture separates, during storage, to the bottom of the tank. If enough water builds up, it reaches the suction line. Water removes oil from the cylinder walls which destroys the rings.
Avoid using it in your seldom used equipment at all costs.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #20
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is it doesn't play nice with my 2 stroke outboard on my boat. Will run like shit sometimes and stall at idle if not using any additives and ends up making the carbs gunked up faster.