Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Mobil1, some interesting info

Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Mobil1, some interesting info

I was on a camping trip last week with an old friend who was an engineer (now retired) working R/D for Mobil Oil. The subject of Mobil1 synthetic oil came up, and I asked him what his thoughts were on the stuff. "Best there is" he claims. He said he's been using it since before it came on the market to the public. What's interesting is that he said he changes his oil usually between 15,000-25,000 miles, BUT, changes the filter every 3000 miles....says the oil will perform way beyond the recommended changing intervals as long as it's clean....Interesting.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My oil samples have come back confirming this.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I like it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
I can believe it.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
If it wasn't a warranty issue I'd love to do that. Change the 4 dollar filter every 3 and the oil every 25K
Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried it? I would, but I can't afford to be the guinnea pig. With 88,000 miles on my taco. I would hate to find out this is a myth.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
..says the oil will perform way beyond the recommended changing intervals as long as it's clean.....
Mine is always very dark after 5K miles. Any 6cylinder/8cylinder engine I've used Mobile 1 in - the oil was always very dark. To me - that's dirty. I change mine every 5K....I don't mind the extra expense.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
My father-in-law does the same thing and swears by it. He goes 5k miles on the filter and 15k miles on the oil. He says that his oil has never been so dirty at either the 5k or 10k filter change to make him nervous. He drives a Tundra.

Once I'm out of warranty I'll probably start doing the same thing. With the filter the way it is in our trucks, it should be easy to swap them out w/o losing much oil. (And since our trucks take 5.5Qts, that extra half-quart I keep behind the back seat could be useful.) I guess the easiest thing to do would be to change the filter first thing in the morning so that the oil is out of the filter? What do you think?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Just so everybody knows, that dirty oil is what tells you that the oil is doing it's job. They put detergents in motor oil that collect the "dirt" as it makes it's way through the motor. If you're not seeing the dirty oil, that means your oil isn't doing it's job really well.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I ran Amsoil in my old titan for 15k...changed the filter at 10k and added a QT. and was hoping to go to 25k but the mpg dived 1-2 mpg around the 15k mark. I believe the viscosity of the oil changes after 15k miles on these synthetics after some use and testing by the labs has proven this. Your engine, your money.

I personally run Mobil 1 or Amsoil about 6-8k. Then do a complete drain. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
to me, no matter what different tests show, and no matter how good, i'll still change my oil every 5k miles..........not too expensive, and its peace of mind for me. but i do believe the tests to be correct however.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I am also running the 5k oil and filter change on MOBIL 1 or AMSOIL.

I use my truck far too much to take a chance. I have had this truck for 4 months now, and I am already beyond 10,000 miles (just did my second oil change), and I have already towed 2,400lbs of brush, 4,000lbs of rock, and 6,000lbs of UHaul and Volkswagen Jetta TDI. I can't afford to take the chance at the moment.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I might add to this that my friend told me he changes the oil at about 15000 but has gone as long as 25,000.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
just so everybody knows, that dirty oil is what tells you that the oil is doing it's job. They put detergents in motor oil that collect the "dirt" as it makes it's way through the motor. If you're not seeing the dirty oil, that means your oil isn't doing it's job really well.
x2!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
any thoughts on bypass filtration?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A co-worker that has a mercedes

I was looking at his mercedes today. The dealership changes his oil for free for the first 50,000 miles. They use Mobil 1 Synthetic. He said the dealer changes the oil every 10,000 - 15,000 miles.

Does anyone know where the best buy is on Mobil 1? Where do you buy your Mobil 1? I'm going to start changing my own oil again & using Mobil 1.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
I was looking at his mercedes today. The dealership changes his oil for free for the first 50,000 miles. They use Mobil 1 Synthetic. He said the dealer changes the oil every 10,000 - 15,000 miles.

Does anyone know where the best buy is on Mobil 1? Where do you buy your Mobil 1? I'm going to start changing my own oil again & using Mobil 1.
walmart!!! you can get a 5 quart jug for right around $20-22, and then just buy an extra quart or so. thats the best place i have found it.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
walmart!!! you can get a 5 quart jug for right around $20-22, and then just buy an extra quart or so. thats the best place i have found it.

Thanks! +1 for you.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #19
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
At the Sam's Club here you can get a box of six 1-qt jugs of Mobile 1 Synthetic for about $22.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #20
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, wal mart will hook you up with a 5 qt jug for ~$22.