Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Dirty Engine Air filter

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Dirty Engine Air filter

So i took my truck in for the 20,000 mile service the other day and the dealership said that my engine air filter was dirty. Should i replace it? The dealership replaces it at 30,000 miles. Any recommendations?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Any opinions on brands?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AFE pro-dry, that way you dont have to mess with oil and it will give you a little better flow
Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
AFE pro-dry, that way you dont have to mess with oil and it will give you a little better flow
Ill look into it. Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
the dealership in my area doesnt even replace the air filter... its not part of the 2-year preventive maintenance plan
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
big43al is on a distinguished road
big43al's Tacoma Gallery
I change my AIR and CABIN filter once a year, cheap fix to keep
everthing clean and flowing!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
X2! I kept the OEM to install while the AFE dried after cleaning. The AFE is a life-long filter if you take care of it.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro Dry is good. I have one on mine but switch to OEM if I'm going wheeling in dusty conditions.
K&N is also good as long as you don't over oil it and use common sense.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Tell the dealer NO

Drive to your local autostore, buy a filter and install it yourself.

The dealership is SUGGESTIVE SELLING - and trying to make more money off you.
They'll do that all the time for the stupid things that you don't need (and can do yourself).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #11

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
X2! I kept the OEM to install while the AFE dried after cleaning. The AFE is a life-long filter if you take care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big43al View Post
I change my AIR and CABIN filter once a year, cheap fix to keep
everthing clean and flowing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
AFE Pro Dry is good. I have one on mine but switch to OEM if I'm going wheeling in dusty conditions.
K&N is also good as long as you don't over oil it and use common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Tell the dealer NO

Drive to your local autostore, buy a filter and install it yourself.

The dealership is SUGGESTIVE SELLING - and trying to make more money off you.
They'll do that all the time for the stupid things that you don't need (and can do yourself).
Thanks for the input you guys. It looks like it would be worth it to get a Afe filter then. I wasn't sure about it at first considering its about 70 bucks.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #12

they are nicely made filters they are worth it