Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

VX Series vs Flowmater 40 Series

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
VX Series vs Flowmater 40 Series

Hey everybody. I just came from a muffler shop that said they have a muffler called VX Series that he calls the "wannabe" Flowmaster. He claims if I came in after installation and he told me it was a Flowmaster 40 Series I'd believe him. Well it's $50 cheaper and I'm seriously considering it. Plus I'm not sure why they'd sell me a cheaper product unless it has a larger mark up. Has anybody heard of this muffler and have any feedback?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
eh. Ive heard of flowmaster knockoffs and they are never as good. If I were you, Id fork over the extra 50. I put a dual out catback flowmaster exhaust and I couldnt be happier.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you cut both Mufflers open, you would find that they are exactly the same inside! I have seen it first hand. And i have heard both of them on trucks and they sound exactly the same. If you didnt know any better and he told you it was a flowmaster 40, you could not tell the difference in sound! Save the $50 Bucks and go with the VX series. Looks and sounds the same!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Vx Series Mufflers are Made by: AP Exhaust Products and they have been in business since 1927. From what i was told they now own the Patent on the flowmaster 40 series muffler and are producing them but with the new name VX series! The Flowmaster 40 was the oldest and first muffler put out by Flowmaster, but there line has gone so far more advanced than the 40 series that they put the patent up for sale. This is just what i was told by our local Exhaust shop!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
I appreciate the help! Hearing from somebody that's seen the comparison first hand makes me feel better. I'm thinking about getting this done since it'll be $85 installed.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Ainokea

Thats a good price! You cant beat that deal, and im sure that you are going to be happy with the sound, especially compared to the stock sounding muffler. Let me know how it goes, and how you like the sound?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

Air Force:
Ok I just got back from having the VX Series installed. All it cost was $90 out the door and it sounds pretty good. I have no idea what a flowmaster sounds like but so far I'm happy. It's a little louder than I expected (the wife doesn't appreciate it as much as I do) but it's good. The mechanic actually came in and asked, "that's only got a V6?". I haven't gotten out on the freeway yet so we'll have to see how it sounds out there. Thanks again for the input.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Ainokea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
Ok I just got back from having the VX Series installed. All it cost was $90 out the door and it sounds pretty good. I have no idea what a flowmaster sounds like but so far I'm happy. It's a little louder than I expected (the wife doesn't appreciate it as much as I do) but it's good. The mechanic actually came in and asked, "that's only got a V6?". I haven't gotten out on the freeway yet so we'll have to see how it sounds out there. Thanks again for the input.
Sweet! I knew you would like it! And just so you know the Flowmaster sounds exactly the same! I actually think it sounds a little more softer than the VX! I have heard them both side by side and thats my take on it!
Im glad you like it and you are most welcome for the imput!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
get a video asap if you can, i had a 40 on my old 4cyl mazda and would like to go the same route with my 3.4l t100, pics would be nice too.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Air Force:
Sorry I don't have video capability. I could snap a pic or two but it'd just be of an installed muffler.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
nah thats ok, i appreciate the effort.