View Poll Results: Check which option applies to you
I've removed the air filter: I notice a difference 22 23.66%
I've removed the air filter: No difference 24 25.81%
I haven't removed it but I plan to 9 9.68%
I haven't removed it and don't plan to 22 23.66%
My decision depends on the outcome of this poll 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
Secondary Charcoal Air Filter Removal Poll

Ok there's obviously been a lot of discussion about removing the secondary air filter. It seems to be agreed the this is more effective for the 4 cyl. but it seems to be up in the air in regards to the V6. So I thought I'd put a poll out there.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Hmmm... well I guess in that case it's hard to say what caused the slight throttle response. I'm guessing the better air filter?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I had not had the truck very long when I removed so it was hard to tell. But I can hear the intake now just like when I was a kid and would turn the air breather over on my dads car, it sounded faster so it had to be.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't taken mine out and don't plan to. I figured Toyota put it there for a reason.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine out 3 or 4 months ago and only difference I notice is more gas being used.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My intake TRD removes it. I didn't notice much change with my intake.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I did a 0-60 run with truck stock. Went home removed the secondary filter and ran again, slight improvement on time. Went back home and changed the filter to the pro Dry S filter. Ran a 0-60 again and noticed yet another improvement. I can't find my where I saved the times but I'll keep on looking. The improvements were very slight. I want to say a 2 tenths improvement after removing the secondary filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005Tacoma View Post
I took mine out 3 or 4 months ago and only difference I notice is more gas being used.
How much of a difference are you noticing?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine just days ago. It was one of my first alterations in the quest for better milage. I also installed a K and N drop in. I did notice a 1.1 mpg increase on the first tank, but I did both at the same time. It was only the first tank, so time will tell. I live in the hills, so any increase will help! Lots of peddal on the hills.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

Air Force:
Wow, took almost a whole month but this poll is finally starting to pick up some.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has been out for months. Maybe a slight increase in mileage. But mainly seemed to change the sound more than anything.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #12

Air Force:
I wish I could re-vote. I took mine out and don't notice a difference. Actually, my last couple of tanks I've noticed a dip in MPG. I'm going on a roadtrip and I'll see how it does on that. I also got a new muffler at the same time I removed the filter, but I can't imagine a new muffler causing worse MPG, right?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed my MPG's dropped recently as well. I think that has more to do with the winter fuel blend though.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005Tacoma View Post
Same here. Ripped out all of the stock intake and put in a K&N Series 63 intake. I just love the air sucking sound and I do get slightly better response.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #15

Air Force:
That makes sense. And come to think of I'm sure warming the car up in the morning will affect that as well. I forgot about that.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed a slightly better throttle response but idk. Atleast i feel less like a green peace hippy lol
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping an old thread!

So its been awhile with the filter out, if you could go back would you do it again??

Been thinking about removing mine but haven't been fully convinced its worth it. Looking to get better MPGs if possible.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Bumping an old thread!

So its been awhile with the filter out, if you could go back would you do it again??

Been thinking about removing mine but haven't been fully convinced its worth it. Looking to get better MPGs if possible.

Thanks!
Carbon filter? What's that?

That was one of the first things I did 6 years ago.....and I can't say I've missed it.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I haven't taken mine out and don't plan to. I figured Toyota put it there for a reason.
Cuz da gubment tol em to...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGood24 View Post
Ok there's obviously been a lot of discussion about removing the secondary air filter. It seems to be agreed the this is more effective for the 4 cyl. but it seems to be up in the air in regards to the V6. So I thought I'd put a poll out there.
there is nothing up in the air as far as HP on the V6

Gadget already ran his truck on a dyno with zero.......yes absolutely zero air filter or the evap/emissions/charcoal one.

zero gains............the restrictive point is according to gadget, the bends of the airbox/hose.