Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Why are exhaust tips cut at an angle?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Why are exhaust tips cut at an angle?

Why are exhaust tips cut at an angle? Is this just a looks thing? I'm going to be trimming my exhaust pipe a little, to remove any possible clearance issues with down travel after my lift. I'm wondering if there is any actual reason to do an angle cut.

I will be doing this in about an hour. So, if you know something I can't seem to find in searching, please post it up.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ah, got it! It changes the sound of the exhaust a little bit. IE: Angled is usually a deeper tone, and straight a little higher tone. No actual performance difference though.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
techmarc is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
techmarc's Tacoma Gallery
correctomundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Ah, got it! It changes the sound of the exhaust a little bit. IE: Angled is usually a deeper tone, and straight a little higher tone. No actual performance difference though.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I would tend to believe they angle it to help exhaust fumes be directed downward.

... and to keep water out of it
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Helps drain any water inside your exhaust?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
the reason it is deeper/higher is because the more it is angled, the more the sound is bouncing off of the ground.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #9

In case anyone is interested, here are the pics of what I cut off the exhaust.

The tone does seem deeper then before. I sprayed boom mat on the under side of my hood at the same time. So the difference could be that, or a combination of both.