Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Fuel Additives

Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Additives

I was filling up the truck today at a local King Soopers gas station...I get $0.10 off, so I filled up at $3.80 per gallon of mid-grade 89 octane. I noticed that a lot of the King Soopers gas stations offer fueld additives that are meant to clean your fuel system. Some offer full cleaning additive and some that you use every 1000 miles or so...yet other additives are for daily use.

I didn't use any of these, since I figure I only have 3300 on my Taco, but what are y'alls thoughts on fuel additives? Are they worth it, especially on a new truck...maybe pretty good for maintenance.

On my old 2001 Eclipse that I sold, I used BG44K to clean out the fuel system...seemed to work pretty well.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchi94 View Post
I was filling up the truck today at a local King Soopers gas station...I get $0.10 off, so I filled up at $3.80 per gallon of mid-grade 89 octane. I noticed that a lot of the King Soopers gas stations offer fueld additives that are meant to clean your fuel system. Some offer full cleaning additive and some that you use every 1000 miles or so...yet other additives are for daily use.

I didn't use any of these, since I figure I only have 3300 on my Taco, but what are y'alls thoughts on fuel additives? Are they worth it, especially on a new truck...maybe pretty good for maintenance.

On my old 2001 Eclipse that I sold, I used BG44K to clean out the fuel system...seemed to work pretty well.
i have heard the bg is very good stuff, although very expensive too. i use a bottle of techron every oil change. seems to work keeping the fuel injectors pretty clean, and i always run mid grade too.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i have heard the bg is very good stuff, although very expensive too. i use a bottle of techron every oil change. seems to work keeping the fuel injectors pretty clean, and i always run mid grade too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I use Techron about once a year and I put about 8K miles on in any given year. My truck has it in the tank right now.
Where do you all get the Techron stuff at? Is that a Chevron product?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Where do you all get the Techron stuff at? Is that a Chevron product?

Thanks for the feedback!
yeah, you can get bottles of techron at autozone,walmart, pep boys,etc. most auto parts stores carry it.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Techron is the best...

Double it up 500 miles before your oil change.

Also before atrip use it on a tank of gas PRE trip. during the trip you will see that better MPG.

Seafoam is great, follow the direction closely....

ALso doing an Engine Oil Flush is a good idea.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
Techron is the best...

Are you saying to put in about 2 bottles 500 miles before the oil change? How does that help exactly? I'm not much of an engine mechanic, so pardon my ignorance. And, thanks for the input!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
I Seafoam my engine with every oil change.
That's a LOT of seafoam. Using it regularly makes sense- but every oil change seems excessive. I guess there isn't any negative to it...cept in your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
Techron is the best...

Also before atrip use it on a tank of gas PRE trip. during the trip you will see that better MPG.

Seafoam is great, follow the direction closely....

ALso doing an Engine Oil Flush is a good idea.
IDK- I've never seen the results from an engine oil flush- but the first three results from Google call them junk. Good quality filters with good oil changed on a regular basis and decent gas used to keep the truck running will do lots for keeping the engine clean.

+1 on what "Double it up 500 miles before your oil change" means...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i put in a quart of lucas oil treatment with every oil change. keeps all the cars we have like new. i think dragsters first got it started.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
PwRTRIp_Xr is on a distinguished road
PwRTRIp_Xr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I use BG44K and it works really well.... I use 44k every 5000K.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
This is an old thread, so yell at me for bringing it up again... but my question is right in line with this thread, so I figured I should just extend it rather than starting a new one...

Why wasn't STP mentioned as an option? Does anybody have a bad opinion or experience of/with STP?

Also... Is there really a difference between a Gas additive and a Fuel System additive?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Why wasn't STP mentioned as an option? Does anybody have a bad opinion or experience of/with STP?

Also... Is there really a difference between a Gas additive and a Fuel System additive?

Thanks in advance!
Never tried STP, so I can't comment.

Read the labels carefully on the gas treatments / fuel additives.

They can be a variety of different things - octane boosters, they can prevents harmful buildups, cleans the system, some will remove previous buildup, and some do part or all of the above.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
Not really. The directions I have specify 1/3 of a can in the intake (brake booster). That's all I do every 6-8 thousand miles. I'm a Mobil1 Extended user.

I don't see much sense in diluting it in the gas tank and haven't tried putting it in my oil yet as I NEVER seem to be able to change it on a schedule...
Since this got dug up again- How do you introduce it into the brake booster??
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Since this got dug up again- How do you introduce it into the brake booster??
take a pair of pliers and slide the clamp outta the way, then pull the hose off and put the hose in the seafoam bottle.........and you gotta keep pulling the hose back just a bit so it doesnt kill the motor, then shut the truck off for 5 minutes, then crank her up.......and she'll smoke like hell!!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
cool....=) I'm gunna try it on my scion too....
it works pretty damn good bro.........idle is better too.