Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

E-locker on non-trd 3rd gen?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
tenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nice

Name: Tom
tenacioust's Tacoma Gallery
E-locker on non-trd 2nd gen?

I have a non TRD sr5 2nd gen tacoma and am looking for some better off road traction. I have been looking into a lock and don't really want to spend the money or deal with an ARB. I am wondering if it is possible to retrofit a Toyota E-locker 3rd member into my rear end. I am not sure which rear end I have, but do know there are 2 different axles in the tacomas. I also do not know what gearing I have if anyone may be able to shed some light. If it is possible can somebody point me in the direction of what is needed and how its done? If not possible to retrofit would I just be looking at replacing my whole rear end with an E-locked axle?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Valdosta State University
Taco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Orrin
Taco GTR's Tacoma Gallery
you'd be better off gettin a locker than swapping a whole rear end
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What model truck do you have? The non locker model uses a 8.4 inch ring gear while the locked unit uses a 8 inch ring gear. You would have to swap the whole axle to run the stock locker. Look into lunchbox lockers. Plenty of info if you search.

You have a 2nd gen not a 3rd gen.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
tenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nicetenacioust is just really nice

Name: Tom
tenacioust's Tacoma Gallery
Yea sorry about that, I was trying to type that up pretty quick last night, I definitely have a 2nd Gen. 2005 SR5 4x4, no LSD or locker.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
a salvaged axle for my 02 is 1000 from a junk yard, yopud be better off with an arb