Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cat back's don't help mileage, so for sound, just weld up?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Cat back's don't help mileage, so for sound, just weld up?

I saw the other thread that said in tests that a entire cat back system doesn't help mileage significantly.

SO, it's done more for sound and performance.

IN THAT CASE, wouldn't a weld up muffler do the same job? After all, the pipes after the cat back would be the same if changed out. Also, you have the mooola $avings.

I'm thinking that my supposition above it true in that most people change the exhaust for the sound.

So, what's a good aftermarket muffler that's not as loud as a flowmaster, but allow better exhaust and a good sound?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I saw the other thread that said in tests that a entire cat back system doesn't help mileage significantly.

SO, it's done more for sound and performance.

IN THAT CASE, wouldn't a weld up muffler do the same job? After all, the pipes after the cat back would be the same if changed out. Also, you have the mooola $avings.

I'm thinking that my supposition above it true in that most people change the exhaust for the sound.

So, what's a good aftermarket muffler that's not as loud as a flowmaster, but allow better exhaust and a good sound?

this is what i have been saying all along..............just get a muffler and weld it in..........essentially the same as a catback, but way less expensive.

if the flowmaster is too loud for ya.......maybe try a magnaflow or borla muffler. and actually, there are some flowmasters that arent really loud.......like the 50 series flowmaster. i still love the sound of the 40 series though!!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
That's generally true. The new issue of Off Road Adventures (August 2008) has an article on this very topic but they used an F-150 5.4L V8.

Stock hp/tq - 206.6/252.5
Muffler only hp/tq - 215.6/276.4
Cat-back hp/tq - 224.8/283.7

Stock mpg 55mph/65mph/70mph/avg - 17.0/16.5/16.3/15.2
Muffler only 55mph/65mph/70mph/avg - 17.2/16.7/16.5/15.7
Cat-back 55mph/65mph/70mph/avg - 17.3/16.7/16.6/15.7

As you can see, there was only a .5 mpg difference (from stock) but it's better than nothing. Also, that's on this particular truck but it will be different on other vehicles. I personally went with a Magnaflow muffler only but I figured I'd post these numbers just to give you an idea.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the Magnaflows! The guy let me hear the Flowmaster 50's, a quieter magnaflow and the one that I got.

The Flowmasters were tooo loud. I'm old and like peace and quiet.

The Magnaflows were just right.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just got the Magnaflows! The guy let me hear the Flowmaster 50's, a quieter magnaflow and the one that I got.

good to hear. even a little sound sounds great.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I had a stock 1-inlet, 2-outlet '05 Tundra muffler installed with twin pipes on my truck. That muffler still has just the right amount of back pressure needed on my V6, yet opened my exhaust up enough to give more performance and a deeper growl. You might wanna consider trying the Tundra muffler on yours
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What size did you get? I have this one: http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_re...&btnSearch.y=3
Old 08-03-2008, 04:55 AM   #8
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
What size did you get? I have this one: http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_re...&btnSearch.y=3

Got the Satin Stainless, 18 inch, offset/offset.

Very pleased. Just a light growl when accelerating lightly and at cruise speed, and perfectly louder growl when I get on it.

The Flowmasters were buttt heavy too. Don't want to stress the rubber hangers with the extra weight.

Now I have to get the intake. Want the TRD with the filter changed out to the washable, non oil type.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Got the Satin Stainless, 18 inch, offset/offset.

Very pleased. Just a light growl when accelerating lightly and at cruise speed, and perfectly louder growl when I get on it.

The Flowmasters were buttt heavy too. Don't want to stress the rubber hangers with the extra weight.

Now I have to get the intake. Want the TRD with the filter changed out to the washable, non oil type.
How much is the trd??
http://www.afefilters.com/IntakeSytemstest.php
Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's around $350
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
I think it's around $350
ok,Replaceing the filter would bring your cost to 400.Prodry stage 2 is under 300.