Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Secondary Cat delete

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
You will be louder. You will most likely also not pass smog... I have my rear cats deleted. But I have other things done as well to my system. The rear cats are like an equivalent of a 3" glasspack, if you cared to know that haha
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm... I really wonder if I wouldn't pass smog, no sensors in there. Okay, if all fails I'll just delete the muffler(I know I know, 'back pressure man, you'll lose all your torque!')

3" glass, so they're straight through with perforated padding or something surrounding?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Hmmm... I really wonder if I wouldn't pass smog, no sensors in there. Okay, if all fails I'll just delete the muffler(I know I know, 'back pressure man, you'll lose all your torque!')

3" glass, so they're straight through with perforated padding or something surrounding?
1. I really don't know what goes into passing smog because I don't have it here in MT. Don't they check your emissions with some sort of sensor? The rear cats burn that extra unburned fuel before it leaves the tailpipe.

2. Do not just delete your muffler. Your truck will sound like the most pissed off lawn mower ever! I played around a bit when I was redoing my truck and when I cut out the muffler... No good. Put in some kind of muffler one way or another. Also, backpressure anymore doesn't really have any effect on anything. You will lose a little torque, but it is negligible

3. The rear cats are just sound equivalents of a 3" glasspack roughly. It is essentially just a hollow metal tube with tight metal mesh in it that gets really hot and burns any fuel still in the line. I recall some kind of perforation inside when I cut mine apart, but exactly what it looks like is escaping me.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Colton, I just repped you.

Agreed on #2, and honestly I wouldn't ditch the muffler, especially since I just bought it. I made the comment on the torque and backpressure cause I think it's over rated and misconstrued by most. The results are negligible no doubt.

So that's what those secondary cats do, burn the extra fuel. Excellent info, now if anybody in California could chime in on this.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination

Yeah sorry on that one man... If I knew what went into smog testing I may be able to help you out.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Yota4me is on a distinguished road

Yota4me's Tacoma Gallery
Do it
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Thanks Colton, I just repped you.

Agreed on #2, and honestly I wouldn't ditch the muffler, especially since I just bought it. I made the comment on the torque and backpressure cause I think it's over rated and misconstrued by most. The results are negligible no doubt.

So that's what those secondary cats do, burn the extra fuel. Excellent info, now if anybody in California could chime in on this.
Open it up too much and u will notice the tq down low go bye bye.

Over rated maybe sometimes........ but under rating it is a slap in the nutz, and wallet if u go overboard n/a
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
"smog" depends on where you are at, here it TX it is basically an OBDII connection, no codes = pass. In this case removing the rear cats will still pass. In CA I have "heard" that they also do a visual, in which case you would fail.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Fast_Freddy is on a distinguished road
Fast_Freddy's Tacoma Gallery
Your car has to have ALL the emission components that came with it(or some CARB approved variation of it), stock. You cannot, however, permanently remove any emission component and still pass smog. Im a smog tech in cali.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Dirtysouthmafia23 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
Dirtysouthmafia23's Tacoma Gallery
You said you didn't know how they check smog in California. Don't take my word for because I don't live in California but I thinks they put a sniffer in the tailpipe and check how much hydrocarbon (gasoline) nox and carbon monoxide gases are coming out of it. In my opinion I wouldn't do it because I hear California is strict on there emission laws.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #15
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Just put a cat on I mean your cats are mostly dead from taking all those poisonous gases for your truck
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
TACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura aboutTACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura about
Name: Seth
TACO FOR LIFE's Tacoma Gallery
i know this thread is old but i hope ill get a reply. if i remove the back 2 cats i will NOT get a check engine light correct?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
TACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura aboutTACO FOR LIFE has a spectacular aura about
also i'm not worried about smog or loss in low end torque
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO FOR LIFE View Post
i know this thread is old but i hope ill get a reply. if i remove the back 2 cats i will NOT get a check engine light correct?
Correct. No check engine light.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
ok thanks