Notices

TRD CAI with TRD Supercharger

Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
captcrackerhead is on a distinguished road
Name: John
captcrackerhead's Tacoma Gallery
TRD CAI with TRD Supercharger

Hey all,

Im sure there's already a thread on this somewhere.. If anyone knows, please link me and disregard this thread.

If not,

I have a 2011 DC 4.0V6 tacoma that I want to add some power to.

Im looking at the CAI along with the S/C, but all the dealers I've talked to, say that they wont work together for the following reasons:

emissions, tuning (computer), and 'running lean'

Im aware that you cant have both and be under warranty, and this is a brand new truck with a 70k mile bumper-to-bumper on it.

So my main question is this: is the performance difference between S/C + stock air vs. the S/C + CAI REALLY enough to justify a possible warranty violation or damage to the engine itself.

Also on that note, what type of problems could that cause?

The ECU for my model STLL isnt out yet, so Ive got some time to decide...

thanks for any advice in advance!

john
Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I believe Superwerty ran both before he got the X1. The problem is that they don't offer the X1 for 10 or 11 trucks and the factory supercharger tune will not work with the brake overide.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I believe Superwerty ran both before he got the X1. The problem is that they don't offer the X1 for 10 or 11 trucks and the factory supercharger tune will not work with the brake overide.

help a noob out here...whats the x1 and the brake overide?

thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
mike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
mike686's Tacoma Gallery
APR X-1 is a engine controller that is almost a must to have when you supercharge our trucks, it just learns when a new mod has been added to the truck and changes timing and fuel air to best optimize the trucks performance its not cheap though, 1100 dollars after taxes and shipping i think and the brake overide idk what that really is honestly
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcrackerhead View Post
help a noob out here...whats the x1 and the brake overide?

thanks
APR X1 piggy back computer and the brake override is part of the recall. It is new programming that senses when you push the have both pedals pushed and cuts power. Of course this only happens if you push the gas first, you are over a certain MPH and do it for X amount of seconds. Toyota has not come out with a tune that will work with the override. The X1 is not available for 2010 and up trucks because Toyota won't release the code encryption to APR. http://www.aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html
Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a K&N CAI and TRD S/C with the URD fuel pump kit. And I have not had any issues running lean. Or the check engine light coming on. But they did recommend that I put the stock air box back in it with the TRD air filter that comes with the S/C kit which is basically the same as a slip in K&N filter. But I never did it I basically like the CAI for the sound it scares the crap out of people walking along the sidewalk when I crack down on it. As far as power increases with the CAI you will have a small power increase due to less restrictive air flow. But as far as being able to feel it....I doubt you will notice a diffrence driving it. But if you were to put your truck on a dyno and do a run with stock air box vs. CAI I bet you would see a difference in power output.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
They say a good cold air intake is worth +10-11 Hp over stock. But no idea the addition with an S/C
Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
IGGY is on a distinguished road
IGGY's Tacoma Gallery
CAI and S\C

TRDSPARKS said the TRD CAI and TRD S\C with fit kit will work in a 2010 Tacoma now and is emissions legal in all 50 states.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
the new trd cai, not the old good one
Old 11-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
yea it will work and the power gain is pretty huge..I believe people on xru were seeing 20-25rwhp when adding the first gen TRD intake to their TRD supercharger.

Yea it could potentially lean it out. I had my wideband put in first so I could see the air/fuel and it did nothing. In fact my truck was running pig rich..afr's in the 9's at redline I think TRD either didnt know what they were doing when they made the trd reflash or they made it ultra conservative.

On the flip side, a very small group of people have been leaned out to the high 13's at redline... not good!

So it depends really. You really shouldnt buy that new TRD intake though. URD did some testing on it and the fuel trims were way off. Buy the AFE stage 2 intake, it is way more accurate.(same as TRD gen 1)

I would say go for it.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
sweet...

thanks for the info.

already ordered the AFE stage 2. Now just waiting on the ECU update for the post 5/10 trucks.

(and 4K dollars)
Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
IGGY is on a distinguished road
IGGY's Tacoma Gallery
AFE

I think the AFE will voild your warranty
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery