Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Will Intake Hinder My 08 Sport?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
BullKnob is on a distinguished road
BullKnob's Tacoma Gallery
Will Intake Hinder My 08 Sport?

K so I was looking at the Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System with Pro-Dry S on afefilters.com. I started looking at my 08 Sport and the Intake runs into my wheel well thus being pretty far from the warm air already.Question is if I put in an after market intake that will bring the filter out of the wheel well will that do more harm than good? Would I get more results by just adding a larger filter to the intake I have. I will add pics so you guys see what i'm talking about.
My buddy has a souped up dodge and I am just trying to blow his ass out of the water, so any suggestions on how I will get the most performance out of my Taco please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails
Will Intake Hinder My 08 Sport?-imgp1427.jpg   Will Intake Hinder My 08 Sport?-imgp1428.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You could start with a high flow replacement filter. If you wanted to do an intake, I like the URD.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
if its a hemi, you need a SC. An intake will help some
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
if its a hemi, you need a SC. An intake will help some
I was actually flirting with the idea of a SC what would that fun on installation do you think?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
You could start with a high flow replacement filter. If you wanted to do an intake, I like the URD.
I would avoid the URD if you go Off Road at all or live an area that floods.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I would venture to say you would spend $4500 to get that installed.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I agree about the offroad and it really depends on your def of flooding. 6" of water in the street counts as flooding to me, but I wouldn't be worried about 6" in the street with my URD.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Quote:
Avoid off roading because of dirt getting in there? I live close to the mountains here in utah and I love to camp so I don't know if that would a good choice then. Is there another one that would work better?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullKnob View Post
Avoid off roading because of dirt getting in there? I live close to the mountains here in utah and I love to camp so I don't know if that would a good choice then. Is there another one that would work better?
Dirt could be a problem, by my main concern with the URD unit is water/hydrolock. The location of the URD is not very good if your going to do any water crossings or if you go to fast through some water. But if you don't off road much it should be fine.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
it is an issue of water, not dirt.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Quote:
Dirt could be a problem, by my main concern with the URD unit is water/hydrolock. The location of the URD is not very good if your going to do any water crossings or if you go to fast through some water. But if you don't off road much it should be fine.
I see So what if I just got the filter and left the intake in the wheel well? Would that work or would I just be better of getting a whole new intake with a housing like the afe system?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
jguinn2005 is on a distinguished road
jguinn2005's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the URD TCAI on my taco, work amazing. I noticed an immediate mid to high range response in my throttle. However, I can tell you with experience that you're not going to beat a Hemi with it (yes, I tried it) but you should be able to beat a Duramax as long as its stock ... yes, I did that too, but I've also got the 6 speed so I was quick off the line. Anyhow, the URD is a good option in the way of an intake, and as for the offroading, as long as you don't cross any streams that would throw water into your grill you'll be fine the dust and such is what the filter is for.

I'd look into the SC too if you're really wanting to beat that Hemi though ... if he's put aftermarket performance parts on it ... I might look into a 2009 Camaro SS or a Roushe Mustang, LOL.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i'd skip on an intake and just go with a high flow filter such as the afe pro dry s drop in filter. an intake gets most of its power from the upper rpms anyway, and if you are just doing normal driving, then its not really needed, because, since they cost so much, and a filter costs alot less, you'll save money that way, while also getting better mileage with just a filter. hope that made sense.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i'd skip on an intake and just go with a high flow filter such as the afe pro dry s drop in filter. An intake gets most of its power from the upper rpms anyway, and if you are just doing normal driving, then its not really needed, because, since they cost so much, and a filter costs alot less, you'll save money that way, while also getting better mileage with just a filter. Hope that made sense.
x 2.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Higgins
ahigginsdeca is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
ahigginsdeca's Tacoma Gallery
i have a magna flow exhaust with a dual conversion and I just installed a AFE cold air intake on it and am really impressed with it. I get a little bit more power off of the line and it sounds good at higher RPM's. Plus, it makes my exhaust system sound a little bit better and deeper. If you're going for a bit more power and a slight increase in sound and depth, than I definately recommend this one!