Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Sparkplugs?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
alchriste is on a distinguished road
Marines: Staff Sergeant
alchriste's Tacoma Gallery
Sparkplugs?

Has anyone changed out their spark plugs? I read an article for PulStar plugs. The "obviously" speak highly of themselves and the gains in mpg. Just wondering if anyone has ventured off down that avenue before I drop big $.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine changed all of his sparkplugs on his GMC and he said he defiantly gets better gas milage. I havent heard anyone doing it to their Taco yet.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A guy on Custom Tacos put in the Puls Star plugs. He developed major "lean out" condition, so he put stock ones back in. They are tricky to put in, as if they are tightened to much, the insulator will crack, and there goes a $25.00 plug.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just stick with NGK...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
NGK is the way to go with Japanese car!!!
Bosch for German cars...

well, american cars are such shit... use champion I guess!! HAHAHAA
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine out. Put some NGK Iridiums in. First tank after the change, my mileage is better than ever. I'm almost at 20mpg now, before it was 18.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
when i had my 06 with the 4.0, i just went back with standard copper denso plugs........as i didnt see a need to even go back with iridium. probably better to stick with denso or ngk on these toyota motors.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only plugs I run in any Toyota are Nippodenso's
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i still got the factory meridian tipped. i guess thats how u spell it.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
alchriste is on a distinguished road
Marines: Staff Sergeant
alchriste's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive the ignorance- NGK? Where can I get them and how much do they cost?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchriste View Post
Forgive the ignorance- NGK? Where can I get them and how much do they cost?
if autozone or one of the regular auto parts stores doesnt have ngk's.......get them at the dealer. the regular copper core plugs are pretty cheap there......and the iridium plugs get really expensive.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #12
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
if autozone or one of the regular auto parts stores doesnt have ngk's.......get them at the dealer. the regular copper core plugs are pretty cheap there......and the iridium plugs get really expensive.
Autozone & Pep boys do not carry NGK. I tried to buy them there, guess I'm going to the dealer.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
how hard are they to switch out on the 4.0?

My '91 with a 22RE was really simple. Funny story with that motor, I was running bosch on it for a long while - had great performance; about a week after I moved to western CO, plug #4 blew clean out of the block basically stipping the threads in the block. Must have come lose after 3 years or so. I thought I was screwed, but this shop in a small town fixed it for $40 total out the door. They had the truck for two days, but wow! I put NKG back in; put another 80k miles on it before I sold it when I got my '08.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
how hard are they to switch out on the 4.0?

My '91 with a 22RE was really simple. Funny story with that motor, I was running bosch on it for a long while - had great performance; about a week after I moved to western CO, plug #4 blew clean out of the block basically stipping the threads in the block. Must have come lose after 3 years or so. I thought I was screwed, but this shop in a small town fixed it for $40 total out the door. They had the truck for two days, but wow! I put NKG back in; put another 80k miles on it before I sold it when I got my '08.
plugs on the 4.0 were pretty easy. you need to move a bracket or 2 on the driver side, passenger side is the easiest........just remove the intake tube, and maybe the intake door that houses the filter also. really easy process though.