Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Anybody know of any 1st gen Tacos with LS1 conversions?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys I'll keep em coming!

I should have the motor mounts done today, and if there is any time left I will see how far I can get on the transmission crossmember, more pics tonight or in the morning...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

And thanks for following my build!!

PLus how do you get rep here, do I need to give some reach arounds, lol?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
how did i miss this??
x2.this is great.brings back memories of the 89 s-10 4x4 blazer i swapped the 4.3 for a 5.7 tbi.that thing was soooooooo fun when it was done.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #44
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got some plates for the removeable trans crossmember finished, now I need to make the center section, tac it in place and then finish weld it..

After that I am going to finish the engine mounts so the motor has a permanent home, then after that is time to get the driveshaft modified and build some custom headers, although I am still thinking about building headers that I can hook a turbo up to..if I know myself (which I think I do) I will want to add forced induction at some point, but I still think it would be best to just put my ProCharger on it and call it good. One main advantage is that I could just build some 1-3/4 primary stainless headers and not deal with the turbine inlet plumbing.

For some reason I always want to go turbo, but I think a Centrifugal SC would suffice, however I think my ProCharger will only make about 16 psi max, and about 12 psi efficiently, you can also get a few more psi out of it by using meth/water injection and I already have a full Aquamist race system ready to install..but as we all know simpler is better.

Going to try and get some stuff fabbed and welded up today if possible, so I'll be back with some pics once I get enough accomplished.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #45
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #48
Turbo Meister

More pics..

Box of stuff from Jegs for my headers that I made..got some LS1 3/8" flanges and a header tube kit, plus (2) 3" V-band clamps, and a stock style MLS pair of header gaskets..

Here are the finished headers, still have to install the O2 bungs and coat them..

Heres the fuel system setup, I just took the ends of the Quick connects and welded fittings on them so I could adapt using A/N hardware.

Blurry pic of the fittings I TIG welded..

Modified GTO Oilpan, had to put a notch in it..
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #50
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
His current Haltech I would imagine. When you go boost will you be swapping to LS2 coils? Yes, you will be going boost lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #53
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Looks awesome!

What are you using for engine management?
Using the stock ECU for now since it is a read/write computer that can be reprogrammed, even the guys making big power stick with the stock ECUs most of the time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
His current Haltech I would imagine. When you go boost will you be swapping to LS2 coils? Yes, you will be going boost lol.
I actually sold the Haltech PS1000 when I parted out my old setup, so I am going to use the stock ECU, it actually uses a MAF and a MAP sensor so it can readily accept boost with the stock engine control system..save some cash.
And boost is in the future for sure, but it will be probably during the summer before that project takes place...and BTW the key to getting the good coils is using the truck coils they are good for 200 hp per cylinder out of the box.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #57
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
when you do go boost, what will it be? blower or turbo?
NOt sure yet, I have a PRoCharger on my 67' Camaro I may rob, but I like turbos so I guess time will tell..
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #58
Turbo Meister

More pics tomorrow, I have been working on this thing non stop, and its probably about 40 hours from turning the key..

I have invested more time than I would like to admit on this project, I hope it meets my expectations, however I am sure it will.

I will take some pics of it after I put the exhaust back on so it looks like a real truck and not a bunch of stuff thats not connected. I have built the entire exhaust system from headers to tailpipe s I can "x" that off my list, now I am starting on the wiring while waiting for the coating on my headers to dry (POR-20).

Exhaust is done, install of engine and trans mounts complete, modification is finished, the driveshaft has been made, now its time for assembly and ECU/wiring plus all the loose ends, including making a Camaro gauge cluster fit and function since I am ditching the Toyota setup because the Camaro one looks cooler and it has more gauges built into it.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #59
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
So, since you're doing this instead of the 1GR, you wanna throw your old motor in my 05????
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #60
Turbo Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
So, since you're doing this instead of the 1GR, you wanna throw your old motor in my 05????
All I have left is a few odds and ends....sold almost everything, maybe you want to turbo yours??

Anywhoo I will take some pics later today, I got it most of the way together and I am on to the wiring stage...fun stuff