Notices

Thinking Supercharger

Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Evilbullit is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Evilbullit's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking Supercharger

Hey all,

I have an '01 3.4l 4x4 that I'm seriously thinking about supercharging. I actually do kind of miss my 350hp (at the wheels) WRX

Anyway, I've seen lots of posts saying that fuel system mods are "mandatory" and a lot that say you don't need to do anything but install the s/c.

Whats what? I understand the high rpm lean condition, but what's high rpms?
For a daily driver with a little off road fun, is it really a concern?
Do I "really" need to do the URD or 7th fuel mods. I want to do it right and I can get the s/c now, but if I need the fuel stuff, then I'll have to wait a bit.

Thanks for any other advice.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Being as you are over 5000 ft. elevation, you may not need all the fuel mods. Many people have installed the TRD supercharger at higher elevations and not had any problems.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Being as you are over 5000 ft. elevation, you may not need all the fuel mods. Many people have installed the TRD supercharger at higher elevations and not had any problems.
ON the same coin- If you are looking at a PCS as opposed to staying in Denver- You might consider going whole hog so you have the gear onboard and only need to get it tuned.

The TRD blower says that you can "plug and play" but as soon as you think about doing anything else (Exhaust, different pulley, cams....anything) you'll need to adjust your fuel system and/or timing to compensate.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Air Force:
[QUOTE=BrunesDoesTRD;146292]ON the same coin- If you are looking at a PCS as opposed to staying in Denver- You might consider going whole hog so you have the gear onboard and only need to get it tuned.

Never PCS'ing again...retirement coming very soon. I could have actually started terminal back in March.

Didnt even consider the elevation being a factor.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Air Force:
Sweet! now just to decide on new or try to find a used one. hmmm
Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Go new- I had truck with used parts in it and it was a trainwreck. It wasn't a Toyota-but new is the only way to go- Dealer installed and set up...Be safe the whole way.
To add, if new is not an option, get the gear box rebuilt (if it wasnt already), and you should be good to go.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Air Force:
Ill go new, but will do the install myself...I got skills.
Actually doing the TBelt and all the assoc. goodies next week. May be a good time to do a s/c as well.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
Air Force:
Do I need to go with a colder plug after the s/c is installed?
I've seen them with the URD kit, but is it necessary w/o the fuel upgrades?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbullit View Post
Do I need to go with a colder plug after the s/c is installed?
I've seen them with the URD kit, but is it necessary w/o the fuel upgrades?

Thanks again for all the info.
I always go one range colder to help prevent pre ignition. I have had good luck with platinum plugs.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Air Force:
Anyone have a pn for a 1 step colder plug?

Ive asked the "help" at my local autozone...no help.

Also, whats with the dual-electrode plugs, are they a must?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbullit View Post
Anyone have a pn for a 1 step colder plug?

Ive asked the "help" at my local autozone...no help.

Also, whats with the dual-electrode plugs, are they a must?
Try to find a Platinum dual electrode plug. They are a colder range than factory.