Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

which oil to use?

View Poll Results: which oil would you go with?
Castrol Edge 13 22.81%
Mobil 1 EP 44 77.19%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
pngo121 is on a distinguished road
Name: Phi
pngo121's Tacoma Gallery
which oil to use?

Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 EP
Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
amsoil 0-30....forever
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You're pretty much asking which color is better, Red or Blue? We all know Green is the best anyway. :P
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Both are great oils so just flip a coin. I use Amsoil 5-30.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra
YUP!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Use the good kind.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Been a while since we've had an oil-opinion question....

(No, I'm not just being an ass. I voted, too.)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
pngo121's Tacoma Gallery
i was just wondering because i use mobil 1 and castrol's new edge claims on the label it provides 8x more wear protection than mobil 1.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
What's your change interval?

Unless you are going for extended drains, really doesn't matter that much. If you are going extended drains, check into bobistheoilguy site, as they post oil analysis results for various oils that can help you make a choice.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
But I ask again, what is your change interval ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
KY for my ride...FTW!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
5,000 miles or 3 minutes...whichever comes first
Damn!!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
pngo121's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
What's your change interval?

Unless you are going for extended drains, really doesn't matter that much. If you are going extended drains, check into bobistheoilguy site, as they post oil analysis results for various oils that can help you make a choice.
i use mobil 1 EP oil and change every 10k miles. usually hit 10k miles about 6-8 months.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
If I were going 10k on an OCI I would get an oil analysis done to confirm the oil health at 10k. This will tell you if your oil is adequate for that OCI.

As for what brand/type, I'd defer back to data from the BITOG site for extended drain oil analysis results.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
pngo121's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
If I were going 10k on an OCI I would get an oil analysis done to confirm the oil health at 10k. This will tell you if your oil is adequate for that OCI.

As for what brand/type, I'd defer back to data from the BITOG site for extended drain oil analysis results.
thanks for all the input.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
I use Rotella T6 5-40, I use it in my race bikes (motor side only).

Its actually a diesel oil and it works very very well.

It costs roughly 20-25 bucks a gallon, same as Mobil 1, I would rather use Rotella, if it has been proven to work well in off-road racing with high rpm small motors 500cc and smaller, it works well for street use as well, also when draining the oil after it has been used for long enough it is still fairly thick compared to Mobil one, turns almost into water..

Yeah I know Mobil 1 is recommended by high performance car manufacturers, but there is a reason for that and its about the $$$$$$, called kickbacks..
Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
I'm a Believer.
bluecollarguy7007 is on a distinguished road
Army: 214th Aviation. Regmt.
bluecollarguy7007's Tacoma Gallery
which oil to use?

Used Mobile one for years but now using Amsoil 5W30. Like it so far.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil 0-30 for me as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #20
svdevon82 is on a distinguished road
Army: DOD Civilian Army
svdevon82's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I discovered that my truck runs great on Royalpurple synthetic. Its about 36 a gallon, but inn my opinion its worth every penny. It keeps its viscosity twice as long as dino.