1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 performance air intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Backcountry Medic, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    Backcountry Medic

Backcountry Medic [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Alpine HU + 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Components in Front, Sealed 8" Custom Sub, BQuiet/Dynamat Interior, Debadged Exterior, Undercover Tonneau, Shortened Anntena, Removed Mudflaps, Removed Intake Resonator and Secondary Filter, Afe Drop-in Filter, 3" Hidden Hitch Receiver, Flowmaster 40 Exhaust, Dee Zee bed mat, URD Short-throw Shifter
    So this has been discussed to much extent, but I’m still very confused. On 4cyl 2nd Gen tacos, what is the best intake mod for the money? The net is littered with filters that claim to be CAI but they pull from the same location as the stock which is also attached to this mystery “resonator” in the right fender. Most appear to have a poor seal and will pull from inside the engine unless you buy the TRD or similar ($350-400), which is insane for questionable performance w/ 4cylinders. URD makes a true CAI, placing the filter in front of the radiator for the V6 models, but not I4. What is the best solution here? I’m thinking of just removing secondary charcoal filter, removing resonator, dropping in a K&N or AFE replacement filter and calling it a day……

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Stock with a few modifications. DO not waste your money! A simple charcoal filter remove and drop in AFE pro dry s filter will do much more for the money than a "CAI" from ANY company. Maybe going so much as to remove the resonator in the fender well might help also but the 2 things mentioned above will make you happy and not feel bad about the investment.

Oh and if you are talking about removing the resonator above the engine then I would say dont do it. A member on here did and all he did was make a mess of it. Threw a CEL and he said IIRC that he lost low end but the top end romped....honestly do you ever hit redline? No....so who gives a damn whether the top end romps.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Alpine HU + 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Components in Front, Sealed 8" Custom Sub, BQuiet/Dynamat Interior, Debadged Exterior, Undercover Tonneau, Shortened Anntena, Removed Mudflaps, Removed Intake Resonator and Secondary Filter, Afe Drop-in Filter, 3" Hidden Hitch Receiver, Flowmaster 40 Exhaust, Dee Zee bed mat, URD Short-throw Shifter
    Cool, thank you.

Does the MAF/air sensor need any type of calibration when intake mods are performed?

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I did my own "elbow mod" where I disconnected the long tube in the fender, cut 3" off the elbow part and swung it forward to face the fresh air. Huge difference in throttle response and a little bit more kick. I have the v6 though-but I think you have the same setup? Or is it different in the 2nd gens?

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    If you want to go the calibration route call up Gadget at URD. They have a MAF calibrator which can be "tuned" to your mods. If you go that route do the intake mod and some sort of exhaust modification before you get the calibrator so you can have it "tuned" for both mods and you can experience a benefit from both.

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Yes the 4 cylinder 2nd gen also has the resonator in the right fender, I might not be calling it the right thing, some people call it a intake chamber or baffle...anyways it is pre-filter not post. Is there any disadvantage besides increased noise when removed/modified? Also what kind of breathability is in the fender? Would a air induction system from the grill up through the right fender be beneficial?

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I just installed an AFE intake in my 4 banger. 1st things first I did not install with the thought of creating any extra hp.

2. It was free so what the hell.

3rd thing. I installed an ultra guage a couple months ago. After the AFE install I didn't see any increase in intake temp ( one of the guages I have displayed ). Only time I see an increase in intake temp is at a red light, once I get going the temp drops back down.

Again, no power increase just a nice scoooop sound when the skinny pedal gets pushed. Oh yah, and it gave me +1 mpg, even with more right foot trying to hear the "scooooop".

8. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Ok, this is all starting to make sense....I'm glad i did some research before I ordered a K&N Ram/CAI, something tells me I’d be wanting my money back. My end goal with my taco is to slightly bump up the hp/torque for towing....im looking at a small flat-bottom carolina skiff well within the 2.7's capabiities but know how the 4cyl can struggle on inclines and highway speeds.

So, with the intake mod covered….what about the other end? Are free-flow exhausts also going to be mostly aesthetic or will a performance exhuast or Cat-back systems help a 4 cyl get some added power?

9. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    numbah57

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I have a k&n drop in filter if you want it.

10. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    numbah57

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I had the k$n filter with the secondary removed and the thing in the fender removed also. And I cut some of the tube thing in the airbox to.

11. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the offer, I've been reading some good threads about the Dry AFE drop in, think I'm going to try that one.

12. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    numbah57

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    No prob, I have the dry filter in my intake.

13. Dec 6, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    What is the intended purpose of the charcoal filter? That's a new one to me.

14. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/2012-diy-secondary-air-filter-removal.html

From what I've read it's for emissions controll, having seen it up close I cant imagine it does anymore particle/debris filtering (other than CO) being that is post primary airfilter and extremily thin/breathable. I think these are new to the later 2nd generation tacos. I yanked mine out along with the intake baffle in the right fender and acceleration increased. I will be ording a AFE dry drop in filter as well

Products Discussed in

To Top