Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2.7 performance air intake

Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Backcountry Medic is on a distinguished road
Backcountry Medic's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 performance air intake

So this has been discussed to much extent, but I’m still very confused. On 4cyl 2nd Gen tacos, what is the best intake mod for the money? The net is littered with filters that claim to be CAI but they pull from the same location as the stock which is also attached to this mystery “resonator” in the right fender. Most appear to have a poor seal and will pull from inside the engine unless you buy the TRD or similar ($350-400), which is insane for questionable performance w/ 4cylinders. URD makes a true CAI, placing the filter in front of the radiator for the V6 models, but not I4. What is the best solution here? I’m thinking of just removing secondary charcoal filter, removing resonator, dropping in a K&N or AFE replacement filter and calling it a day……
Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
AFE drop in and charcoal filter delete as posted in all the other discussions. That's it.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Stock with a few modifications. DO not waste your money! A simple charcoal filter remove and drop in AFE pro dry s filter will do much more for the money than a "CAI" from ANY company. Maybe going so much as to remove the resonator in the fender well might help also but the 2 things mentioned above will make you happy and not feel bad about the investment.

Oh and if you are talking about removing the resonator above the engine then I would say dont do it. A member on here did and all he did was make a mess of it. Threw a CEL and he said IIRC that he lost low end but the top end romped....honestly do you ever hit redline? No....so who gives a damn whether the top end romps.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I did my own "elbow mod" where I disconnected the long tube in the fender, cut 3" off the elbow part and swung it forward to face the fresh air. Huge difference in throttle response and a little bit more kick. I have the v6 though-but I think you have the same setup? Or is it different in the 2nd gens?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No but a specific calibration will help make power.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to go the calibration route call up Gadget at URD. They have a MAF calibrator which can be "tuned" to your mods. If you go that route do the intake mod and some sort of exhaust modification before you get the calibrator so you can have it "tuned" for both mods and you can experience a benefit from both.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Yes the 4 cylinder 2nd gen also has the resonator in the right fender, I might not be calling it the right thing, some people call it a intake chamber or baffle...anyways it is pre-filter not post. Is there any disadvantage besides increased noise when removed/modified? Also what kind of breathability is in the fender? Would a air induction system from the grill up through the right fender be beneficial?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Banned
Remove the baffle for noise if you want. Really though an intake won't help much. You have a 4 banger. Power is going to be low. If you add an intake you will still have a 4 banger. Also you have done nothing the the head and you have not increased the size of the combusion chamber. The engine isn't going to pull in much more air than it does already just by changing intakes.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed an AFE intake in my 4 banger. 1st things first I did not install with the thought of creating any extra hp.

2. It was free so what the hell.

3rd thing. I installed an ultra guage a couple months ago. After the AFE install I didn't see any increase in intake temp ( one of the guages I have displayed ). Only time I see an increase in intake temp is at a red light, once I get going the temp drops back down.

Again, no power increase just a nice scoooop sound when the skinny pedal gets pushed. Oh yah, and it gave me +1 mpg, even with more right foot trying to hear the "scooooop".
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Ok, this is all starting to make sense....I'm glad i did some research before I ordered a K&N Ram/CAI, something tells me I’d be wanting my money back. My end goal with my taco is to slightly bump up the hp/torque for towing....im looking at a small flat-bottom carolina skiff well within the 2.7's capabiities but know how the 4cyl can struggle on inclines and highway speeds.

So, with the intake mod covered….what about the other end? Are free-flow exhausts also going to be mostly aesthetic or will a performance exhuast or Cat-back systems help a 4 cyl get some added power?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a k&n drop in filter if you want it.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY

I had the k$n filter with the secondary removed and the thing in the fender removed also. And I cut some of the tube thing in the airbox to.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY

No prob, I have the dry filter in my intake.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What is the intended purpose of the charcoal filter? That's a new one to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
What is the intended purpose of the charcoal filter? That's a new one to me.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html

From what I've read it's for emissions controll, having seen it up close I cant imagine it does anymore particle/debris filtering (other than CO) being that is post primary airfilter and extremily thin/breathable. I think these are new to the later 2nd generation tacos. I yanked mine out along with the intake baffle in the right fender and acceleration increased. I will be ording a AFE dry drop in filter as well