Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Lousy gas mileage

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Tacoma Jim is on a distinguished road
Tacoma Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Lousy gas mileage

My '10 Tacoma is getting lousy gas mileage (~16)...I check the air pressure in my tires weekly and I keep my foot "out of it" however, I am still having no luck! I have been looking on line and have pondered the following modification and was wanting some advice:

1. Install a Cold Air Intake
2. Computer Chip Jet Programmer
3. Install dual exhaust

Has anyone out there tried any of these? Any luck? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Corollas get nearly 40 mpg.......and with amsoil 0-20 they do get over 40mpg
Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
There is alot of these threads, they are trucks.

I got mine knowing it was not going to get over 16 heck I get 12 LOL!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jim View Post
My '10 Tacoma is getting lousy gas mileage (~16)...I check the air pressure in my tires weekly and I keep my foot "out of it" however, I am still having no luck! I have been looking on line and have pondered the following modification and was wanting some advice:

3. Install dual exhaust

How many miles are on it? On my 09 I started out averaging 16-17 mpg. With it breaking in around 5-6k, and loosening up I am now up to 18.5-19 mpg avg.

As for the 3 above, the only one that has much of a chance IMO is a CAI, but that is debatable. My experience is that a CAI does nothing but make noise, same with exhaust (which may also decrease mpg as it might cause some loss of low-end torque, in exchange for high-end breathing). That is my experience though. Don't even consider 2.

Might try a drop-in filter like an AFe Pro-Dry S. K&N could also be considered, but it's not my first choice.

For my mpg's, I can always equate what I get to my driving mix (city/highway), style (jack-rabbit vs. a bit easier) and AC usage.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
CAI will lose MPG. I've had multiple CAIs and this has always been the case, I currently run a AFE drop in and found that its the best solution.

Try disabling the compressor mod when defrost is on...that saves drag on motor.

Run the tires hard, with syn oil and try and keep it at the speed limit and get a scan guage to monitor your instant mpg..finding the sweet spot on your drive. Other than that yes these trucks suck at mpg.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Specs

What are your specs? Stock tires, lifted or other accessories that might add weight.
It has been stated on here several times CAI actual hurt your mileage. It is better to keep the stock intake and swap the factory filter for a high flow.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
my 2010 double cab 4x4 had a sticker that came on the window that said it would get 16 in the city and 20 on the highway. yours being a prerunner probably said you'd be getting 17/21.

with a mild lift and bigger tires i am getting about 17.5 with winter blend fuel in the city.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
not sure were you're from but winter blend gas kills mpg's. more factors than just the gas though: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...inter-mpg.html
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
MSteinhauer is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
MSteinhauer's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to consider getting a Scangauge II. After you calibrate it, it will show you instantaneous gas mileage, average over the trip and average over the tank among other things such as distance until empty, error codes for the check engine light, etc. This wont change anything about the vehicle to get you better gas mileage but it will make you more aware of your gas mileage which will in turn train you to drive more efficiently.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked the last tank in my 2010 Double Cab....6000 miles ..of course the 4.0.
I got 17.4....That is in town driving....temps have been very cold here in WV...highs around 30 and lows high teens () I have a extang tono and hood deflector on it...if those makes a difference
I am pretty satisfied with that....with the conditions....
Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
I originally was getting 15 mpg but then again I have it lifted with some BF AT's. I did install a CAI and started using 92 high octane and have been able to get 17 mpg. It's not great but hey, it'll do.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jim View Post

3. Install dual exhaust

16 MPG sounds pretty normal to me. I'm averaging 16 in cold weather while burning winter-blend gas. I expect l'll average closer to 19
in the warmer months. See banner below:
Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
hey big man lemme hold a dollar
TRD_yota_nc is on a distinguished road
TRD_yota_nc's Tacoma Gallery
i put a K&N cold air intake on my tacoma and it gave me about 3 more mpg and more horsepower and it was super easy to put on
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
SbRsH11 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
SbRsH11's Tacoma Gallery
I've found that premium grade gas made the biggest difference for me... With the price difference, you're really robbing Peter to pay Paul.... Also, keep track of you're trip per tank, then try different suppliers... I know that in my case, some brands of gas just get poor mileage compared to others.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know how you guys are seing 17 + in the city... My best is 16.1 in the summer and with winter I am now avg 15.2. I guess maybe because I live in the mountains. Highway, I can see around 19.5 to 20 though.

PS.. 42 k on the truck and the plugs and everything was just changed.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage Improvement

I installed a K&N Air Filter and a Magnaflow Muffler and increased my MPG from 17-18 to 20 MPG. But Wait,...There's More!

I gotta Sweet sport car sound to boot.

Viola!