Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

kuh clunk ku klunk

Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
sing4mi is on a distinguished road

sing4mi's Tacoma Gallery
Question kuh clunk ku klunk

I'm getting a rattle when I go over bumps. It doesn't happen every time.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? I'd really like to avoid having it in the shop all day.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing4mi View Post
I'm getting a rattle when I go over bumps. It doesn't happen every time.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? I'd really like to avoid having it in the shop all day.
From where is this rattle comming from?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

sing4mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
From where is this rattle comming from?
Underneath somewhere. I know that I'm not giving much info. The truck only has 1200 miles on it. I'm thinking something has come loose.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing4mi View Post
Underneath somewhere. I know that I'm not giving much info. The truck only has 1200 miles on it. I'm thinking something has come loose.
Take it to the dealer. Without knowing more detail, My guess would be as good as anyone else.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chazz Michael Michaels
blake1012's Tacoma Gallery
I had a rattle for a while........drove me crazy. I finally realized that it was the jack that is under the back seats. It had come out of its holder and rolled everytime i hit a bump.

i dont know.....just my experience......good luck
Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
This is probably a really stupid suggestion... but I had a rattle for a few weeks... never had time to take it in. I didn't feel the rattle, just heard it, so I wasn't terribly concerned for my safety or anything.

I thought it was coming from underneath, but one day I rode w/ the rear window open and realized it was coming from the bed....

it was one of the bungee cords I had in the mini storage compartments in the bed.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
SongDog is on a distinguished road

SongDog's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed a ka klunk-ka klunk shortly after I bought my truck. I finally narrowed it down to my 2" receiver hitch. Every time I would go over a large bump, the receiver ball assembly would raddle against the receiver tube. Still does it, I'm just not as concerned since I know what it is now.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #8

sing4mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1012 View Post
I had a rattle for a while........drove me crazy. I finally realized that it was the jack that is under the back seats. It had come out of its holder and rolled everytime i hit a bump.

i dont know.....just my experience......good luck
You know, the noise kind of comes from that area. That could be it. I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I thought it was coming from underneath, but one day I rode w/ the rear window open and realized it was coming from the bed....

it was one of the bungee cords I had in the mini storage compartments in the bed.
Been there done that myself!! Between the bungees & junk in my bed compartments, to the stuff I got stored in my access cab compartments.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #10

sing4mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
I noticed a ka klunk-ka klunk shortly after I bought my truck. I finally narrowed it down to my 2" receiver hitch. Every time I would go over a large bump, the receiver ball assembly would raddle against the receiver tube. Still does it, I'm just not as concerned since I know what it is now.
This could be a possibility too. I just had a hitch receiver put on and I have a hitch in it. Yhe noise started after I put in the hitch.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
Robbie will become famous soon enoughRobbie will become famous soon enough

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
Ah the rattle!
Let me tell you my experience...
I heard a rattle from under the cab. Crawled under there and hit things with a rubber mallet and bent the heat shield. (Idea's from TW). Nothing. Lowered and repositioned the spare. Nothing.
Took it to the dealer who test rode it said it was my shocks. Cool. New shocks!
He ordered and replaced and the rattle was gone!
Wait! He only did the front! But it got better.
Still heard it from the back...called and brought it back...said he'll order shocks for the back and tested it again and said the right insulator was missing. Ordered a new sping assembly and a bunch of parts. (absorber assembly, spring assembly right rear, cushions).
IT HAS GOTTEN BETTER! But I hear a faint rattle in the left rear!
I could live with it...and i'll see how long it takes to drive me crazy.
My friend who has a GMC warned me that Toyota's are known for their rattles. (I won't go into the troubles he had!)
Anyway, m 08 Tacoma, with about 2,500 miles has four new shocks, a new spring in the back and a rather quiet rattle in the left rear.
So much for their suspension!
I WAS WARNED!
PS: My '87 Nissan rattled too. IT'S A TRUCK! my wife says.
Hope this helps you.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #12

sing4mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
Hey I think I got it stopped. I bought a wedge for furniture legs and slipped it in on top of the hitch ball holder insert.

Wha-lah, the noise seems to be gone!