Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need more gas mileage

Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Etohanee is on a distinguished road
Etohanee's Tacoma Gallery
Need more gas mileage

I would like to get a cold air intake, but need to know which one and a programmer. what else can i add to increase the gas mileage and how will it affect my car.

- eta
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etohanee View Post
I would like to get a cold air intake, but need to know which one and a programmer. what else can i add to increase the gas mileage and how will it affect my car.

- eta
either go with the whole urd setup....intake, maf calibrator and exhaust, or just skip on the intake altogether(not woth the $$$,in my opinion), and just get a good high flow filter such as the afe pro dry s drop in filter. some people are gettign as much as 3 mpg with just that filter alone. and be sure to remove your secondary air filter for a bit more gain......and its located in the airbox.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
either go with the whole urd setup....intake, maf calibrator and exhaust, or just skip on the intake altogether(not woth the $$$,in my opinion), and just get a good high flow filter such as the afe pro dry s drop in filter. some people are gettign as much as 3 mpg with just that filter alone. and be sure to remove your secondary air filter for a bit more gain......and its located in the airbox.
Where would I be able to buy a AFE pro dry s drop in filter? Online vendors are where I am primarily looking to buy one.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Ok here is a list of thing you can do to increase milage.

1. Cover the bed
2. Cover the wheels with A solid cover. you may need to make a raised lip to let Air in for brakes.
3. Cover the gap with brushed between the fenders and wheel.
4. Lower the truck as well
5. Add a front Air splitter
6. Add side skirts to remove mot of the gap bwtwen the road and your truck.
7. whole urd setup
8. lighten the truck as much as you can
9. Runn the lightest wheel you can and thinnest tires that are safe
10. Was and wax the truck oten to keep it Smooth.
11. Acid dip the frame and body panel to lighten them up. Old old trick...
12. use a thinner paint job old trick.

THese are extreams but this is what it might take
Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Where would I be able to buy a AFE pro dry s drop in filter? Online vendors are where I am primarily looking to buy one.
check with some of the guys here, as there was a group buy recently for the afe filter, and you may be able to get in on the deal still.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
One way I've found to increase my gas mileage is to slow down. I have an '01 S-Runner and a couple of weeks ago I drove from here in Yakima WA to Puyallup Wa and back, a distance of about 160 miles each way. On the way over I took the freeway (I-82 from Yakima to Ellensburg and I-90 from E'burg to Seattle and I-5 down to Tacoma/Puyallup) and drove approximately 75 miles per hour. When I got there I filled up and figured my mileage at 22.5 mpg.
I left Puyallup and came back via highway 410. This highway is mostly 2 lane and the maximum speed limit is 55 mph. About 60 miles was through Mount Ranier National Park where the speed limit is 45 mph. When I got back to Yakima I filled the tank again and this time I got 28.6 mpg. An increase of 6.1 mpg. The only difference was my speed. I wouldn't have believed that slowing down could make so much of a difference but it did.
I bought my truck a month ago down in Murrieta CA and drove it back to Yakima, a distance of a little over 1100 miles. On the way back I drove about 70 mph most of the way and since it was over 100 degrees down in Southern Cal, I used my air conditioner almost all the way and I got 20 mpg.
If you really want to get the best mileage, turn off your A/C and slow down. It may take you a little longer to get where you are going but if saving gas money is important to you it is well worth it.
Jerry

PS This past week I filled up my tank with Shell premium and took a 200 mile trip from here in Yakima down to the Tri-Cities and back. I took the back roads all the way and held my speed down to 35-55 mph all the way and when I got back to Yakima I filled up and my mileage went up to 29.3 mpg.
I'm sold on slowing down and saving my gas money.
jj
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
An Addendum:
Yesterday, I did the deckplate mod. We'll see if that helps or hurts my mileage.
jj
Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest ways to increase gas mileage is to slow down (80mph = 13.5mpg, 60mph = 18mpg on my truck) and make sure your tires are properly inflated.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i saw a taco with no bed. it was like a flat bed truck. looked pretty good imo.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Glockin
GasTiresOil has a spectacular aura aboutGasTiresOil has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
GasTiresOil's Tacoma Gallery
To get better gas mileage I started off by slowing down a bit. I had heard for years that CAI many times actually hurts gas mileage so I went with the TRD intake. (designed by Toyota, keeps the proper air/fuel ratio). And I had also heard that synthetic oil can give 2-3 miles more per gallon which I never believed.

I got consistent 17-18 mpg on my 08, then switched to synthetic, drove it kinda easy, and got high 22mpg on my first fill up after changing the oil. I still dont really believe it, but I got almost 380 miles to the tank where I would usually get around 300. Give synthetic a try, its all I'll use now.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Hwy61 is on a distinguished road
Hwy61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i thought said filter was a secondary filter?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled a flowmaster muffler/tailpipe OFF of my 95, 3.4 liter V6 & LOST 3mpg.

So by adding one will you gain 3mpg???
Old 08-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoint16 View Post
I pulled a flowmaster muffler/tailpipe OFF of my 95, 3.4 liter V6 & LOST 3mpg.

So by adding one will you gain 3mpg???
On your 08,You may see a diff of 2mpg.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy61 View Post
i thought said filter was a secondary filter?
nah....sec. filter is a charcoal filter located past the air filter isn the air box. you remove it and gain a bit of performance(butt dyno anyway), then you can a good filter like the afe!!