1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

supercharger and turbo questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jlane709, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Dec 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    jlane709

jlane709 [OP] Member

Member:
    So i have a 2000 tacoma, its the 3.4l and i am going to do some work to it to get a little extra power. i have read a lot about the supercharger and the turbo kits. My question is who makes these kits. I know i can get the TRD supercharger but i dont know if that comes with the seventh injector and the 2.2 pulley or if you have to buy those seperate. I haven't really loooked into the turbo but i am kinda intersted in it. My second question is do you have to do anything to the engine when you add these upgrades? i would probably get new fuel injectors and a cold air intake and new plugs but i was wondering if their are any major components that need to be replaced. the truck has 101000 miles and i just rebuilt the tranny 10000 miles ago. any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Dec 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    mitzu

mitzu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    WY
    Vehicle:
    03SRunner
    plenty
    supercharger is easier to do, turbo has more potential...you will need to upgrade your fuel system depending on how much power you are looking to get.
    theres a few options out there from URD. look for used fuel upgrades..i have most of the stuff you would need from urd.
    as for the motor, if you stay under 400 hp the 5vz will handle it...with the supercharger you will get about 250-270 to the wheels, with my last turbo setup i made 300hp 350tq to the wheels.
    you might need to upgrade your clutch...
    it all depends on how much power you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend

Torspd likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    SC = A little more power and bolt on (not including fuel/spark mods/mapping)

Turbo = much more power, (the only available kit is STS (remote turbo)) same goes for your electronics as above.

A standard turbo system will work better but will need to be fully fabricated.

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    jlane709

jlane709 [OP] Member

Member:
    yeah i have found aome more info on the turbo kits aand they do sound a little better. both seem to have the amount of power i am looking for but now i just need to know about durability. i have heard that the supercharger wears the engine down faster because it is ran off the crank. but they say the turbo is free power since it is run off of exhaust. so which one will be more durable and reliable?

5. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Which ever one you build correctly. Since turbo "kits" for the 3.4 are pretty much pieced together and made by the owner, IMO it is not a "kit", it is not bolt-on and tested- the end user needs to be very DIY and mod savvy. If your looking for reliability, though a turbo setup can be heaps reliable, starting at your start point, IMO it introduces tons of variables- you will get to know Murphy really really well.

Your looking for some added power, not a show-stopping 1/4 mile stomper, IMO the bolt-on, HEAPS of support/knowledge, stout and reliable TRD S/C should do the trick. Sprinkle in good fuel and timing mods and you are set. The fuel/timing kit I use has my truck running likes its factory boosted. By going TRD S/C, you eliminate many turbo setup variables- the biggest reliability variable you leave is tuning- and that goes with ANY and all setups.

6. Feb 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    gtaber

gtaber Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner
    TRD super charger
    Everybody here may think I'm crazy, but I have 2000 Pre-Runner, 3.4L V6 I bought brand new-the dealer talked me into the TRD supercharger, which they installed. I still have the original intake manifold, the dealer gave it to me after they installed the supercharger. After 14 years and 114,000 miles, I would like to put the original intake back on it. No more buying premium gas, etc. I'm older, and not real concerned about hauling ass. Anybody know what all would be involved in this? Is it a straight unbolt the SC and bolt on the original intake? Is there any computer/electronic mods involved? And since my back is bad now, and I'm not physically up to doing the work myself, If there is anyone in the Dallas,TX area that would be willing to do the work in exchange for a used supercharger?

7. Feb 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    For the most part it's pretty straight forward if it is just the S/C and no fuel mods to uninstall. You reuse quite a few of the bolts from the S/C install on the intake mani. Re-route a couple vac hoses as well. THe most time consuming part, I think, is the removal of the skid plates and belts in order to re-install the stock length alternator belt

8. Dec 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    Hardon Tacoma

Hardon Tacoma New Member

Member:
    is the 5vz still strong enough to do one of these applications after 230000 miles? I just want a lil more power it don't have to be much

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  9. Dec 10, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Compression test would be oc the first order. Then upgrade the components from there. Depends on many variables. Mostly how you drive it and the kind of maintenance you do to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top