Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

supercharger and turbo questions

Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
jlane709 is on a distinguished road
jlane709's Tacoma Gallery
supercharger and turbo questions

So i have a 2000 tacoma, its the 3.4l and i am going to do some work to it to get a little extra power. i have read a lot about the supercharger and the turbo kits. My question is who makes these kits. I know i can get the TRD supercharger but i dont know if that comes with the seventh injector and the 2.2 pulley or if you have to buy those seperate. I haven't really loooked into the turbo but i am kinda intersted in it. My second question is do you have to do anything to the engine when you add these upgrades? i would probably get new fuel injectors and a cold air intake and new plugs but i was wondering if their are any major components that need to be replaced. the truck has 101000 miles and i just rebuilt the tranny 10000 miles ago. any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
mitzu is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: mike
mitzu's Tacoma Gallery
supercharger is easier to do, turbo has more potential...you will need to upgrade your fuel system depending on how much power you are looking to get.
theres a few options out there from URD. look for used fuel upgrades..i have most of the stuff you would need from urd.
as for the motor, if you stay under 400 hp the 5vz will handle it...with the supercharger you will get about 250-270 to the wheels, with my last turbo setup i made 300hp 350tq to the wheels.
you might need to upgrade your clutch...
it all depends on how much power you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
SC = A little more power and bolt on (not including fuel/spark mods/mapping)

Turbo = much more power, (the only available kit is STS (remote turbo)) same goes for your electronics as above.

A standard turbo system will work better but will need to be fully fabricated.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
jlane709 is on a distinguished road
jlane709's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i have found aome more info on the turbo kits aand they do sound a little better. both seem to have the amount of power i am looking for but now i just need to know about durability. i have heard that the supercharger wears the engine down faster because it is ran off the crank. but they say the turbo is free power since it is run off of exhaust. so which one will be more durable and reliable?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Quote:
so which one will be more durable and reliable?
Which ever one you build correctly. Since turbo "kits" for the 3.4 are pretty much pieced together and made by the owner, IMO it is not a "kit", it is not bolt-on and tested- the end user needs to be very DIY and mod savvy. If your looking for reliability, though a turbo setup can be heaps reliable, starting at your start point, IMO it introduces tons of variables- you will get to know Murphy really really well.

Your looking for some added power, not a show-stopping 1/4 mile stomper, IMO the bolt-on, HEAPS of support/knowledge, stout and reliable TRD S/C should do the trick. Sprinkle in good fuel and timing mods and you are set. The fuel/timing kit I use has my truck running likes its factory boosted. By going TRD S/C, you eliminate many turbo setup variables- the biggest reliability variable you leave is tuning- and that goes with ANY and all setups.