Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

First Oil Change this week.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
First Oil Change this week.

Want to upgrade to Mobil 1 Synthetic. 5w 30. Is 5 quarts enough, or do I need 6 to be safe. And do I get the one that says for trucks? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
2009 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: juan
2009 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i use 6 qts and the m-209 (i think) filter.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my first time at 3k miles and went to mobil 1 5w 30 for light trucks and suvs.
I'm not really sure the difference from regular 5w 30 but I DO have a light truck. Not sure if it really makes a difference.
I changed 3k, 6k, 10k, and 14k last week.
I think I'm going back to every 3k.
The oil looked nasty black and Vermont Mountain driving takes its toll on any vehicle (why you see so many Tacos up here!)
I use trd filters I got from toyotapartspeople.com for $8.91 plus shipping. If you order 5 at a time it comes out to like $10 a piece with shipping.
I hope this helps and congrats on the new truck!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used the K and N oil filters at all? And thanks for being so nice and polite.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I'm changing mine every 8-10k. whats the point of running synthetic if you change it every 3-5k miles?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
After all the post i've read about air filters I went with a afe pro dry s filter.
VERY easy to maintain lifetime filter for like $70 on autoanything.com
Check out "The List" on a TW search and take advantage of some great ideas and deals!
Thanks for "The list" neontrail.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
I'm changing mine every 8-10k. whats the point of running synthetic if you change it every 3-5k miles?
When I start my truck at -20 degrees it doesn't sound too bad.
With my first 3k miles last winter I noticed a big difference!
Thinner oil helps in the super cold.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Forging Elite Fitness
TACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
TACODACKS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raswank View Post
Has anyone used the K and N oil filters at all? And thanks for being so nice and polite.

Save your money. Buy a WIX, Purolator, or get the standard Toyota one from your dealership. Those work very well and cost about $6 each. The K&N oil filter is twice as much as the ones I mentioned, and doesn't work any better. Of course, this is a personal issue and some one will chime in sooner or later swearing by it. Just my two cents.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggiesrider View Post
When I start my truck at -20 degrees it doesn't sound too bad.
With my first 3k miles last winter I noticed a big difference!
Thinner oil helps in the super cold.
The dealership puts in 0w-20. how does that fair in the cold weather?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Use Toyota filters people. The aftermarket filters cost more and have less filter media.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Banned
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
I will pay the extra 30 bucks for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. It doesn't cost me anything for the oil change. But I believe synthetic oil better for all purposes.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Use Toyota filters people. The aftermarket filters cost more and have less filter media.
The Toyota filter is a good filter, but my dealer charges $4.95 for one...with a discount, $4.45.

I can get a PureOne filter for $5 at my local Advanced Auto. Similiar if not arguably better quality than the Thai made Toyota filter for roughly the same price.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
TexasTac is on a distinguished road
TexasTac's Tacoma Gallery
One thing you could think about when using syn oil is at 5k miles change the filter only. Just cause it's synthetic doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty. Top off the oil level after you change the filter then at the next 5k change the oil and new filter. This covers the annal retentatives who want to keep the oil fresh as possible, but also satisfies getting 10k miles between changes.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
The Toyota filter is a good filter, but my dealer charges $4.95 for one...with a discount, $4.45.

I can get a PureOne filter for $5 at my local Advanced Auto. Similiar if not arguably better quality than the Thai made Toyota filter for roughly the same price.
I believe the consensus around here is that oem filters are the best....and its 55 cents dude