Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

HP gain by adding performance muffler:

Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
blklab1911 is on a distinguished road
Name: Harry
blklab1911's Tacoma Gallery
Smile HP gain by adding performance muffler:

I love dual exhaust, had it on my Silverado 5.3 and it sounded great but I have no idea if there was a performance gain. I'm new to the Taco world and have no regrets buying an 08 off-road TRD Taco. I flat out love it.. I would like to know if I went with the TRD Cat back would I gain any HP or as I've read going with a flomaster 40 muffler would give me the same result without the expense. Also, don't want to do anything to decrease my standing HP. I appologize for the rambling.. Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have the flowmaster and I think it has the best sound out of all the mufflers, however I have heard from several members here that as far as performance goes, flowmaster may actually reduce your HP slightly because it is a baffled muffler versus a free flowing exhaust such as magnaflow.

Hope this helps bud
Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Thanks Bud, any experience with the Toyota cat-back exhaust. They claim increase in hp/tq but could be factory talk. I'd love to get dual exhaust but need some suggestions on that one as well.

Harry
Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
sorry I don't really have any experience with the trd catback, but as for duals I have em and love em just because I think it gives a more aggressive stance to the truck.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
here is what the 06 that i had(4.0) sounded like with a single in/dual out flowmaster 40 series, with pipes straight out the rear........

i loved the deep rumble and growl!!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Great sound, love those duals...
Old 08-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cat back exhaust systems dont yeild a bunch of h.p. on the Tacomas. You might get about 5 h.p. or maybe a bit more. It's rare that I have seen over 10 h.p. on a dyno with a cat back.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, its hard to get alot of performance from bolt on applications. I have a jardine catback from URD. its loud enough but i dont know if ive received any significant hp gains.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Cat back exhaust systems dont yeild a bunch of h.p. on the Tacomas. You might get about 5 h.p. or maybe a bit more. It's rare that I have seen over 10 h.p. on a dyno with a cat back.
chris is right on(as usual)!! i got the flow 40 with duals for the sound only when i got them for that truck!!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
This is great input, anyone ever hear of a Vor-tech catback I believe that's what I had on my Chevy in dual config. Great mellow sound but pretty loud in the mid-range when you punched it. I don't know if I got better performance or not.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
iv got a banks monster exhaust on my 4.0 and it isnt to loud but it will get your attention and it looks great too
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about HP gains as my truck will never be on a Dyno. I went back to the stock muffler today as I got tired of the noise at certain rpm's.
Driving home from the shop I really couldn't tell any difference in performance other than the speakers performed better.

Actually I looked down and was driving quite a bit faster than I thought simply because it was quieter. After looking at the inside of the stock muffler after it was first removed it appears to be an oversized Gibson design. By this I mean different sized lovered tubes without multiple baffles and no packing material that I could see.

I just got back from the 1st road trip with the DynaMax super turbo, which as I understand, is supposed to be quieter than the Flowmaster and Magnaflow mufflers. At certain rpm it was simply annoying. I did average 19.6 mpg on a 1200+ mile trip at 70-75 mph on the highway and in town. The best tank was 20.9 mpg. I'm curious what the stock one will do now that I have 4000 miles on the truck, as I had replaced the stock one at 1600 miles. The truck new with only 11 miles on it averaged 19.2 mpg on the drive home from the dealer 300 miles away. Of course it had the OEM air filter and I wasn't driving it 75 mph brand new either.

I'll keep you posted on my results.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 AM   #14
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
The motor w/4k is still breaking in. You should see better mpg up to 10-15k.