Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

best exhaust setup performance wise?

Old 12-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
Question best exhaust setup performance wise?

the wifey got me a gift card to the exhaust shop for christmas. i guess i been a good boy this year..

i have a spankin 2011 v6 4x4. i want performance over sound.

from what i've read i'm leaning towards the dynomax super turbo.

question 1: performance wise- single, or dual outs?

question 2: from the cat back, what diameter piping should i go for? is 2.5" good?

question 3: if i go with a single out, can i use the stock pipes or should i replace the whole thing? are the stock pipes mandrel bent?

question 4: i want my tip(s) to be black. has anybody successfully painted their tips with ceramic or hi-temp paint and would like to share some pics or advice?

-shoots
Old 12-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Id like to see you do it and get some single in dual outs im planning on doin it just need to get some balls and order the muffler either stock replacement or dual outs dont know wich will sound better all the vids are single out not duals?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i like the look of dual outs better than single but does it make a difference in performance or is it more for looks? i don't know.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
same boat your in lol but f*ck it just ordered my single in dual out dynomax super turbo and 2 tips 18" long 2.5" inlet and 4" outlet lol 130 bucks aint bad and gunna get down to the exhaust shop as soon as it gets in! and idk if it is performance difference? but a new muffler will help it breath better. Ill post a vid soon as its done.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If it was me I'd just go with what sounds best to you. Any performance difference from one setup to another is going to be moot and not worth basing your choice off of that.

I've seen people paint mufflers black before with pretty good success.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Nick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nick
Nick_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sure you lose low end power with dual outs
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Since you have that gift card I'd go with a Magnaflow muffler with a single out, stock sized piping and a nice tip out the stock location. A single pipe in front of the tire too but that is just my opinion. If you are looking for performance increase then you won't find much with just an exhaust.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
i miss my 04

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A single pipe in front of the tire too but that is just my opinion.
what do you mean by in front of the tire?

yeah, i'm not expecting miracles from an exhaust, but i've read that you could gain like 15 hp with the right setup, or even lose some hp with a wrong one. i'll take whatever additional hp i can get instead of just a big noisemaker.

any particular reason why you prefer magnaflow?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
i miss my 04

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Taco View Post
pretty sure you lose low end power with dual outs
yeah i was thinking the same thing just wanted to confirm.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Probably means having the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels, rather than behind.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
i miss my 04

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
dynomax ST review

i ended up getting the super turbo. went with new 2.5" pipes from the catback single out & dumped right after the rear axle so no visible tailpipe.

ill post a vid when i got time.

its not much louder than the stock exhaust. way different than the flowmasters on my 04. almost silent at idle with a subtle rumble when i gun it which is nice. no significant difference performance wise though, which was expected. i DO experience a earth shattering drone around 2nd to 3rd gear with all the windows rolled down that i never had with the flowmasters.

all in all i like it. wanted to go for something different from every other tacoma on this island.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Too late now but for performance you should of gone with a free flowing straight through exhaust like a Wicked Flow or Aero Turbine.