Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

towing, power, torque?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Krackalacka has a spectacular aura aboutKrackalacka has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jake
Krackalacka's Tacoma Gallery
towing, power, torque?

alright heres the deal, I have a camper, it only weighs 1500 lbs., but
the fucking drag kills me when i get over 55 mph. Trying to think
what I can do to help this out, of course i'm gonna ask you
supercharger vs. turbo, It seems turbos are cheaper, but you have to
run premium in them all the time, so maybe not. Its just the upfront
cost that is gonna kill me, or changing my gears to 4.88. I know that
will probably rob my gas mileage for daily driving. Seeing as at this point im' going 100 miles round trip every day
Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
So let me get this straight. You want to add a turbocharger or supercharger in the neighborhood of $3000-$5000 because of your camper????
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You have to run premium fuel all the time with a supercharger as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Krackalacka has a spectacular aura aboutKrackalacka has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jake
Krackalacka's Tacoma Gallery
yeah to tow my camper and for anything else i may decide i'd look to do with a more powerful truck, I am not sure why in a truck forum, this seems like an unreasonable proposition. I've narrowed it down to turbo, but now i have folks telling me that if i'm gonna do the turbo right, i might as well spend the same money and go diesel
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you given thought to changing gear ratios?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you may have the wrong truck for the job. I'm assuming you have a 4 cyl? The 4 cyl is certainly capable of towing 1,500 lbs but it sounds like you want to drive with weight behind it and have enough power to not even know it's there. The V6 would be fine with 1,500 lbs behind it, even at highway speed. What you're looking at spending on a turbo or supercharger might be better spent on a stock truck with a bigger engine IMO. Changing your gear ratios would help the power but your RPM's will be higher at highway speeds.