Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Magnaflow install yields 0420 Error code

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Norton Guy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aero repair
Norton Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow install yields 0420 Error code

Been lurking for a while so I figured I'd give you guys a shout on this one.

I installed a Magnaflow cat back; nice sound, good quality, then the dreaded check engine light comes on after a day or two.

The error code is 0420 Catalyst system Efficiency below threshold (bank 1).

Truck runs great, better than ever really, but now I have to work around this problem.........

I wouldn't think a cat back system should confuse the cats but the Magnaflow muffler is pretty much straight through and a LOT smaller in volume than the stocker.

Ideas?

Duane
Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Guy View Post
Been lurking for a while so I figured I'd give you guys a shout on this one.

I installed a Magnaflow cat back; nice sound, good quality, then the dreaded check engine light comes on after a day or two.

The error code is 0420 Catalyst system Efficiency below threshold (bank 1).

Truck runs great, better than ever really, but now I have to work around this problem.........

I wouldn't think a cat back system should confuse the cats but the Magnaflow muffler is pretty much straight through and a LOT smaller in volume than the stocker.

Ideas?

Duane
maybe reset the cel and give the truck a little while to adjust to the new airflow?? may help out.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #3

error code

Yeah, I did reset the system but it came on again within a day.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i ran a magnaflow catback on my 07 for almost the entire time i owned it and i never had a code or any issues w/ it
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i also got the magnaflow cat back... very rare have i heard that the muffler is the reason for a CEL since its located passed the 02 sensors
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #7

0420 code

Yeah this seems like a one in a million shot to me too, but that's my luck.

I think I'll throw on a URD o2 simulator and be done with it.

I do like the sound of the Magnaflow muffler though, not too loud until you give it some throttle.

Bought the cat back system on Evil Bay for $385 with no freight, seemed like a pretty good deal. The drone of the blown out muffler was nasty; I would have thought that would have triggered a CEL.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
dude, go for it. A magnaflow dual exhaust would look and sound very cool.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
1killerkaw will become famous soon enough

1killerkaw's Tacoma Gallery
I heard a single in dual out magnaflow and it sounded like every other fart can honda on the road.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
do you know if it was a 4 banger or a 6 cyl?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #13

Well, I installed the URD 02 simulator, we'll see if it keeps the light out. State inspection comes up this month, so I hope it works.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
crawlergirl is a name known to allcrawlergirl is a name known to allcrawlergirl is a name known to allcrawlergirl is a name known to allcrawlergirl is a name known to allcrawlergirl is a name known to all
crawlergirl's Tacoma Gallery
I found this thread in a search and thought I'd dig it out instead of starting a new one. Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it?

I'm looking at an '08 TRD sport at a dealer with Magnaflow installed and on the window sticker is a note "Modified exhaust system not covered by factory warranty. may cause engine light to remain on." I can pick this truck up for a great price. Should I worry?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlergirl View Post
I found this thread in a search and thought I'd dig it out instead of starting a new one. Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it?

I'm looking at an '08 TRD sport at a dealer with Magnaflow installed and on the window sticker is a note "Modified exhaust system not covered by factory warranty. may cause engine light to remain on." I can pick this truck up for a great price. Should I worry?
like i stated before, i ran a magnaflow catback on my 07 for like 1 1/2 years w/ no issues and on my 09 i've got a magnaflow welded in w/ new pipe after it and no probs either
Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
A catback is not going to set off ANY code. Either the O2 sensor got banged up during the install or you've got a clogged cat and its just a coincidence that it happened right after the catback install.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #17

error code / Magnaflow

The truck's been fine since the URD "emulator" install and yes the Magnaflow shouldn't logically be a problem because it's after the cats. The issue seems to be on trucks with two converters as it's easy to upset the balanced output between the two sensors. (IMHO).
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
code 0420, well I know the answer its easy. its simply telling you good job you fucked something up now its time to get high. Why else would it says that its 420?

its just a joke please dont hate me
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #19

Magnaflow update

Ok so everything was cool up until a month ago and BINGO up pops the CEL again.

So it looks like an 0136 error.

Short story: replaced both sensors and everything is cool again. I know the 0136 code is for the downstream sensor but the truck has 130,000 so I figured the front one was due anyway. The mounting studs were pretty rusty on the rear sensor mount, I won't get away with replacing that one again!

Still cheaper than a payment book
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #20
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to beat a dead horse..

Hate to bring back old threads but I could really use the help on this. Done a bit of searching obviously but couldn't really find the answer for my specific situation.

I have a '97 2.7 4 x 4 with 235k on it..

Last Friday I had a Magnaflow 18" oval installed with 2.25" custom stainless pipes from the cat, straight back to the muffler, then up and over the axle, side exit. She felt great over the weekend, no problems but this morning I threw a PO420!! Had my buddy's shop clear the CEL but I really want to fix the problem.

My exhaust guy didnt say anything about the condition of the o2 sensor he welded back on so I don't think its that, and the existing cat seems to be in perfectly good shape. He did say however that there's a crack in the manifold that he can't find (doesnt sound that good though) and there is also a slight leak at the gasket upstream of the Cat.

I'm looking into headers, but til the coin is there its not gonna happen. and when the time comes I'l prob replace them as well as the cat (already have a brand new magnaflow high flow cat).

Any advice/recommendations for the time being to get rid of the CEL??
Will the 02 sim from URD work on my truck? seems like its only for 3.4l..

thank you!