Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How long would will you go on Synthetic before next change ?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
How long would will you go on Synthetic before next change ?

I searched and found inserted opinions on other threads but didnt see where the question was asked straight up so here I am.

Switched over to Mobile 1 5w-30 last oil change, with 5K on that, changed oil again, new filter but added Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to Mobile 1. Now Lucas claims their product "Increases oil life atleast 50%."

With that said, how long would you go before your next change ?

Conditions my truck performs in is 11 mile daily trip to work, hour drive to hunting club every weekend and a couple minutes of locking into 4x4 down a hunting road. No towing or heavy loads. Is 10K too long ? Can I go further safely ?

Thanks guys
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well, I do about ever 5000 KM, maintenance is cheap insurance...

But from what I hear your good to about 8000KM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
maintenance is cheap insurance...
Absolutely !
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #5

Army:
I've got 5200 on it right now, I'm going to atleast go to 7K and have oil checked, see how it did. I'm positive by what I've read that it will come back with high marks even at 7K.
Still want to hear opinions, expert advise......
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I go 5,000, however with synthetic you go easily go to 7,500 no problem. Anything less than that you're throwing your money away.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I run Amsoil and I change it every 5000 miles.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
my dealership said i could go 10,000 miles- Mobil 1 sythetic. Are they full of shit or what??
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also is it ok to switch back to regular oil after I just put synthetic in it?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
my dealership said i could go 10,000 miles- Mobil 1 sythetic. Are they full of shit or what??
What's your warrenty say? On mine it's 5,000 or 6 months (which ever comes first). Also, why do you want to switch back to dino? I'm sure it's ok to make the switch but just curious??
Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!
meckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS'D
Name: Stephen
meckleystephen's Tacoma Gallery
i go 7500 miles and it comes out clean as a whistle, until it comes out dirty i am going to keep on the same schedule
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Name: Sean
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I run Amsoil and I change it every 5000 miles.
X2
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
im using Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic and change it every 6000 miles, although many say you can go 10,000+ miles when running synthetic but id rather not
Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
What's your warrenty say? On mine it's 5,000 or 6 months (which ever comes first). Also, why do you want to switch back to dino? I'm sure it's ok to make the switch but just curious??
Well I get mine done at dealershit and they say every 10,000 and my maintenance schedule is way out of whack
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #16

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meckleystephen View Post
i go 7500 miles and it comes out clean as a whistle, until it comes out dirty i am going to keep on the same schedule

Gonna do the same. Changing at 7K and get the oil tested. I'll come back when results are in. I wanna get my moneys worth out of this expensive stuff I'm pourin in this V6.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
firefightermadic is on a distinguished road
Name: Rafael
firefightermadic's Tacoma Gallery
5k be safe
Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
I buy Mobil 1 5w-30 at walmart for $24 (or $25?) per 5 quart jug. I change at 3500 mile intervals. Some would say I'm throwing my money away *cough* Yamaha Dave *cough*, but for as relatively cheap as oil is, I figure a few more changes/dollars per year is worth the peace of mind it gives me.

OP, fwiw, I would be less concerned with the oil breaking down and more concerned with the filter not "filtering" after 5k or so. Just my 2˘ though.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Also is it ok to switch back to regular oil after I just put synthetic in it?
It is just fine to switch back and forth. The oils are totally compatible and can even be mixed.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
I've got 5200 on it right now, I'm going to atleast go to 7K and have oil checked, see how it did. I'm positive by what I've read that it will come back with high marks even at 7K.
Still want to hear opinions, expert advise......

FWIW ... I always do my first & second oil & filter change early (around 1,500 & 3,000 miles) to get the "break in metal particulate" out.