Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How often do you change your synthetic oil?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
How often do you change your synthetic oil?

Before I ask the question, I know there are threads on synthetic oil vs. standard oil. But that's not my question,

This is for all the guys that switched to synthetic oil in there rigs.

Forget about mileage for a minute, how often do you change your synthetic oil (months) do you see yourself going a little longer between oil changes? Or about the same (every 5 mo.)
Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
Im running RP and do it every 10k and swap the filter every 5k...whoops didnt read all the way...i go by mileage but I'd imagine the break down of synthetic is longer than conventional or blend
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i change twice a year, so about the same
Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
2009 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: juan
2009 taco's Tacoma Gallery
X2 twice a year
Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

Do mine about 3 times a year and/or every 3,000 to 4,000 miles (based on about 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year).

I used to use Mobile 1 ... now using Royal Purple or Amsoil.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
every 5k
Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I do mine every 5K and when I do it, it does come out pretty black to be honest. I hear some guys saying when they change theres at 5K it still looks new and I call that B.S. So yeah, around every 5K for me or twice a year if you average it out.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
I have over 7 months and 12k on AMS synthetic and it is still brown. Changed the filter every 5k though. I probably won't change the oil until Feb-March.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched to syn on my last oil change about a month ago. I figure I'll still go by the 5000 mile recommendation in the book. That's about twice a year for me too.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably do it at 7k if I ran synethic. I just go by the 5k schedule on the syn blend the dealers uses. As far as it being BS that people say there oil is brown at 5k, you can't really make a blanket statement like that. Obviously going to depend on where and how hard the vehicle is being used and other factors. I know plenty of people (not specifically with Tacos) that have ran synthetic to 10k and it came out still somewhat brown and they've sent them out for oil analysis and they could have gotten more out of it. Granted, I don't know that I'd want to go over 10k on an oil change myself but it's perfectly conceivable that some have good oil at 5k.