Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

what does your oil look like?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
what does your oil look like?

So my dad insists on running 10w-40 in my truck and changing every 5000 miles, but after looking at the used oil I'm having some thoughts about switching over to a 5w-30 synthetic despite having 107,000 miles and being fairly "abused" oil wise.

It would help to see some pics of your guys' used oil so that I can make sure that this black cruddy crap is normal (which I suspect it's not). This might also make a useful thread to anyone who is considering a different weight or brand of oil so post up some pics of your used oil!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Well.....umm... The owners manual recommends 5W-30.

In both my 96 and this 07 - the oil was very dark. Not black, but very dark brown (dark chocolate). So - I'd say its pretty normal.

Do some research about changing to synthetics at such high mileage. You can do it, but I know from my own experience.... I changed my 96 tacoma to synthetics @80k miles, oil started seeping around at the oil pan and I was consuming about 1/2 quart of oil every oil change.

Also, you could do some sort of engine flush to try and get rid of the sludge - HOWEVER - you might create new problems by doing that. Again - do some research.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah I know 5w-30 is recommended but it all ends up not being my choice
Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
amsoil 0-30
Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Your dad forces you to use the wrong oil?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
yeah I know 5w-30 is recommended but it all ends up not being my choice
Not to sound like a smart ass - but if that's the case, then why are you asking?

Are you looking for reasons to convince your dad?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
wrong oil....what does that mean? really? amsoil is the best in the world end of convo
Old 12-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
5w-30 is recommended for the slight fuel efficency improvement with the lower viscosity. In Missouri, I doubt you ever see temps cold enough to have to run a 5w.

A 5K interval isn't terrible. I choose 3K for my intown driver and 5K for the highway vehicle. I also run dino juice since the intervals are short. I am a big fan of synthetic gear oils but not so much on engine oils.

The black stuff you see if carbon that is blowing past the rings. It is normal and it does get worse with age on the engine. The other stuff you can't see in the blow by is forming acids that collect in your oil. That is the best reason to change it often!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Not to sound like a smart ass - but if that's the case, then why are you asking?

Are you looking for reasons to convince your dad?
because what he doesn't know won't hurt him and like anyone I want to treat my truck well
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
well....yeah. I asked him about it and all he said was that for weather in missouri it shouldnt matter. Mind you we have had some single digit mornings and what not. He would rather stick to 10w-40 even though for the past 95000 we've used 5w-30. My dad is a weird guy when it comes to this type of stuff. he buys and restores really expensive stuff and ends up treating it like shit. He bought a '72 MGB and has since had to restore it twice, but due to neglecting it once again its sitting in our garage with serious engine, rust, and interior issues.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't worry about the viscosity that much - 5W vs. 10W in your neck of the woods. Just stick with an SM rated multigrade and you will be fine. Has the truck been using oil lately? He may have upped the viscosity a little to reduce the oil usage in an older engine.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #12

she runs alright, no oil consumption. I'm just lookin to do whats best for it thats all
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Napa gold filters are excellent for extended oil change intervals.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
5k is a bit long for me, I change it when the oil on the dipstick looks medium brown because what drains from the pan always looks much darker of course. Usually ends up around 4200-4500 mile OCI (5w30 dino oil). Last time I took used oil for recycling, the girl at VatoZone commented that there is still some clarity to it so I could go to 5k easily, I just choose not to. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

I used to be a real stickler about "name brand" oils but in reality the best kind of oil is the oil that is changed often.
Wait... is that a petrolueum company salesperson? *barf* crf69 I just had to...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I did 5k on conventional penzoil the first 2 changes with my truck before switching over to synth at around 156k, no leaks and it doesn't burn a drop between changes and im at 165k now doing 5k OCI's with the stock toyota filter.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I did 5k on conventional penzoil the first 2 changes with my truck before switching over to synth at around 156k, no leaks and it doesn't burn a drop between changes and im at 165k now doing 5k OCI's with the stock toyota filter.
That is good news for anyone thinking about switching to synth after many many miles.

It sounds like you went 156k on 2 oil changes. But it must have had ~145k when you bought it... ? ?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
That is good news for anyone thinking about switching to synth after many many miles.

It sounds like you went 156k on 2 oil changes. But it must have had ~145k when you bought it... ? ?

yeah sorry, a bit misleading