Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turbo baby

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Here, I found one for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvtb3uloihI
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
That's what that turbo sounds like on that taco.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #23
Revived and BACK baby!

joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
THIS is what I was looking for!

bubb rubb & li'l sis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79jSzKA0L8
Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #24
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
You want a supercharger. You would be remiss sticking anything else on there. TRD decided that's what the engine needed and they designed one for it. Very few engineers understand the engine as well as the creme of the crop that Toyota and TRD hire. There is a lot of kinematics, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, machine design, computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, materials, and higher physics that go into engine design, especially those with power adders. Unless you are prepared to build from the block up, Toyota does make damn good blocks to do so, don't waste your time on some 2 bit turbo system. And exhaust systems make all the difference on turbo systems. Turbos recycle the thermal and mechanical energy inherent in the gas that is wasted out your muffler. Personally I think that N/A engines were designed to be N/A and engines that need power adders come from the factory with them. Stick with what the pros deamed appropriate and just strap on some belts and go with the supercharger. We went with a S/C on our Solo2 Miata while many people buy the popular turbo kits because turbos are "cool." But at the track it all comes down to FTD - fastest time of the day. Then you are cool.
If you MUST have a turbo Tacoma swap in the Supra's 2JZ-GTE with the Getrag 6 speed.
My $0.02
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
"WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOO. it like woooooooooooo"
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #28
silverbullet830 is on a distinguished road
silverbullet830's Tacoma Gallery
On a conventional turbo setup a free flowing exhaust helps spool. not necessary on an STS system. also the tacoma kits come with a snorkel setup now so the filter is up our of the way. these kits out perform the trd supercharger at the same amount of boost. More boost at lower RPM and more overall hp so in many cases you might not need to run as much boost to make the power you want. And water hitting the turbo is not an issue. Since the turbo is so far from the motor the turbo never reaches the same temperatures as it would under the hood so there is no risk of it cracking. This also makes the turbo last wayyyy longer. And the turbo doesn't heat the engine oil. No need for an intercooler since the intake air cools in the piping on the way back to the engine. no doubt about it if your thinking about boost i would go with an STS Turbo kit. if for some reason you don't want that the TRD supercharger kits are pretty good. I really wouldn't put a turbo under the hood though on a vehicle that wasn't orginally designed like that. but comparing the STS kit to a conventional kit is apples and oranges.