Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turbo baby

Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo baby

ok so this is what im looking at doing, i have a 2005 trd sport and im looking to put a twin turbo in it!! anyone know anything about this??? can anyone point me in the right direction and where to start? what r some of the pro's and con's????
Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to go the Supercharger route

Good info on Turbo vs. Supercharger
http://superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19
http://ezinearticles.com/?Turbocharg...rgers&id=11280

Unlike the turbochargers that require cool down time, or warm up time, the supercharger is ready to go when you are. At 2000rpm, boost is already available with a supercharger. When it comes to fuel efficiency, superchargers actually kind of help to improve your MPG. The reason for better mileage is the fact that you do not have to drive the engine at full throttle due to available boost. However, anytime that you drive aggressively, fuel efficiency will suffer.

Superchargers also tend to last longer than turbo chargers because they do not require much maintenance and have a self contained oil supply.

Toyota makes a supercharger for the Tacoma. I'm not sure who makes a Turbo for our trucks.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
turbos have come a long way check this out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...12586-sts.html
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
turbos have come a long way check this out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...12586-sts.html

Thanks, Good to know! I just remember Turbos of old. Having to let the engine idle for a while as the turbo cools down.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #6

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
the guys from trucks! and some other auto performance shows all claim no turbo lag if you size the pipes right and have the proper turbo installed
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
the guys from trucks! and some other auto performance shows all claim no turbo lag if you size the pipes right and have the proper turbo installed
If you were going the turbo route. Wouldn't it make since to upgrade to a performance cat & exhaust?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that would be my thought as well.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
If you were going the turbo route. Wouldn't it make since to upgrade to a performance cat & exhaust?
You almost have to- You'll be getting a Turbo Manifold to operate the turbo. All that would be left would be the cats and back. And not having the right outlets would induce the dreaded lag and work the bypass/blow off valve alot harder (depending on the location of the turbo)

My vote is still for a S/C- This engine is powerful enuf that a bit of parasitic drag isn't gunna hurt and it'll develop power in a more useable range.

They sound better too- but that's just IMHO.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
You almost have to- You'll be getting a Turbo Manifold to operate the turbo. All that would be left would be the cats and back. And not having the right outlets would induce the dreaded lag and work the bypass/blow off valve alot harder (depending on the location of the turbo)

My vote is still for a S/C- This engine is powerful enuf that a bit of parasitic drag isn't gunna hurt and it'll develop power in a more useable range.

They sound better too- but that's just IMHO.
I'm with you. I think the SC is a better option over the turbo.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #13

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
from what i've read and seen with the sts turbo system there is no need for a performance exhaust
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
from what i've read and seen with the sts turbo system there is no need for a performance exhaust
But if you are sinking big $$$ into a turbo. It seems silly not to spend the money on exhaust.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #15
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
The STS turbo system replaces the intake and the complete exhaust system, STS is a remote system that sits the turbo under the back of the cab instead of under the hood. Basically the turbo is the muffler from what i understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTdz2tj1q8
Old 08-20-2008, 06:05 AM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yeah...I think there is another thread about that STS system- Remoting a turbo to that location means you have to worry about ground clearance and standing water- That is a HUGE turn off for me for that system.
EWWW...plus you can hear the lag on that first pull- It might just be cause of where in the rev band he was and how soft he hit it- but lag = bad...

I would consider a turbo system under the hood with the right wrap or water injection kit and ducting for heat management- but but with a "OEM" S/C out there- i just couldn't pull the trigger on a system like the STS....
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #18

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Remoting a turbo to that location means you have to worry about ground clearance and standing water- That is a HUGE turn off for me for that system.

EWWW...plus you can hear the lag on that first pull- It might just be cause of where in the rev band he was and how soft he hit it- but lag = bad...
the newer models of the sts system come with snorkel kits for the intake in all truck and some car applications

pick your poison: the supercharger whine or sweeeeeet sound that a turbo makes
Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
mark155490 will become famous soon enough

mark155490's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by branct06 View Post
ok so this is what im looking at doing, i have a 2005 trd sport and im looking to put a twin turbo in it!! anyone know anything about this??? can anyone point me in the right direction and where to start? what r some of the pro's and con's????

super charge.turbos are for the 4cy and super charge for v6