Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Synthetic or Natural oil

Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
sabian is on a distinguished road
sabian's Tacoma Gallery
Question Synthetic or Natural oil

I know this topic has probably come up numerous times on this site but I couldnt find a thread on it. Does any one know if there is any real advantage to using synthetic oil? For the price you can change your oil out quite a bit more often using the regular stuff. having just bought a new tacoma I am thinking about changing over right away. Though I am not sure about the warranty issues on the vehicle if I do this. But I have heard all kinds of stuff about changing over later in the life of the vehicle and how it breaks seals and stuff. Don't know if thats just Bull or what. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Welcome to TW and check these threads out- There is tons of info about all the different types of oils (diffs, engine, etc)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...searchid=28093
Yes and most it is hyperbole

All syn oil comes from natural oil base stock

FACT
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
im all natural 5w 30 castrol
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
There is no harm to switching over right away. And you can always switch back if you want. People say once you go synthetic you cant switch back, that is bs

I suggest amsoil full synthetic 5w-30!!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
sdirep is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
sdirep's Tacoma Gallery
heres a question i have...i just bought my 2010 tacoma back in oct....im currently at 4500 mi and about to change the oil...would it be okay to change to synthetic now? is that okay? and my maintenance required light just turned on...does that mean i need to do the oil change or is that for something else?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
'06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access
Flugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura aboutFlugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura about
Flugelhornjazz's Tacoma Gallery
Cool synthetic or o' naturelle

There are many taco benders on TW that run synthetic. I happen to be one of them. I believe the 4 ball wear tests that show synthetic oil to be superior.

I also come from experience: about 20 years running excellent "natural" oils like Castrol and Penns in a variety of vehicles. I've also run 100% synthetic oils about 20 years in a variety of vehicles. My experience shows that synthetic oil does last longer, has a lower pour point, and in some cases quiets noisy lifters, etc.

I bought my '06 (Access cab) brand new. I figure a few dollars more for a synthetic oil change is worth keeping the Tacoma new as long as possible. My '06 now has 63,000 miles on it. I changed the factory oil at 1000 miles with a new filter and Castrol premium petroleum oil. I ran that oil change to 5K, then changed the oil to 100% synthetic w/ a new filter. I wanted to be absolutely sure the rings were seated before I ran synthetic.

Well, I use Amsoil's top of the line synthetic oil (signature series) for 12 month oil changes. I do not add one drop of oil to top the reservoir between changes because the motor doesn't use oil! I am very happy with the results!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
You can switch to and from syn and dino and different brands whenever you want. Won't do any harm.
Synthetic oil allows longer OCIs but dino can typically last 5k miles w/o a problem.
After using dino for the past 9 years I recently switched to Pennzoil Platinum because of all the rave reviews and results it has been getting on bitog.
Main reason why I use synthetic? My truck is my baby and I want to hold on to it as long as humanly and mechanically possible.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mobile 1 Synthetic FTW

I run this in my engine and the gear oil in my rear diff.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I use all mild weight taco bell sauce in my engine. Did run hot weight, but made my engine run too hot.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
I use all mild weight taco bell sauce in my engine. Did run hot weight, but made my engine run too hot.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Man, I could go for some cookies right about now. Damn diet. lol little off topic.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30 FTW!