Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which cold-air intake

Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Jen is on a distinguished road
Jen's Tacoma Gallery
Which cold-air intake

Hi Everyone

Have had my '06 PreRunner V-6 for 2 -1/2 years now..47,000 miles later I still love it ...it's my 3rd Toyota truck..have had an '86,'96 and now '06..so i must love them right? Anyway have the TRD exhaust and now want to do the cold-air intake,,anybody have any good advice on which brand?
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
taco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura about

taco@you123's Tacoma Gallery
i just installed the AFE pro dry si stage 2 and i love it, right away i felt a bit more pwer to my truck and it also sounds great
Old 08-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Jen is on a distinguished road
Jen's Tacoma Gallery
Cold-air

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco@you123 View Post
i just installed the AFE pro dry si stage 2 and i love it, right away i felt a bit more pwer to my truck and it also sounds great

Thanks for the input..also does anyone recommend headers?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW Jen.

have you looked into the URD cai?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Thanks for the input..also does anyone recommend headers?
Doug thorley. long tube or short tube headers are good.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
Doug thorley. long tube or short tube headers are good.
+1- All the info I've seen and the subjective feedback has been good- Go long tube for ease of install or short tube to keep the stock cats- Choose either way and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Welcome to the board!!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Bamban is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Radar A/N TPS 43-E,Tactical Air Command
Bamban's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Have had my '06 PreRunner V-6 for 2 -1/2 years now..47,000 miles later I still love it ...it's my 3rd Toyota truck..have had an '86,'96 and now '06..so i must love them right? Anyway have the TRD exhaust and now want to do the cold-air intake,,anybody have any good advice on which brand?
Thanks.
I have less than 2K miles on DC 4x4 4.0L 08 Tacoma I have installed TRD cat back and the TRD CAI, I can't compare the CAI against any other system, but I love mine. WOT sound is music to my ears. At idle and highway cruising speed at 2K RPM and below everything is civli, all you can hear is the mild rumble of the TRD exhaust, but when you jump the gas, the CAI will drown the exhaust.

My gas mileage per tank sucks, but what the heck I love to hear the sound....
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
AFE CAI

Love it and the sound is amazing.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks.
you should put up pics of your other trucks.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
bluescoops will become famous soon enoughbluescoops will become famous soon enough
bluescoops's Tacoma Gallery
i have a k&n mostly cause of price (got it off a used taco at work for free) it sounds awesome. i think the best part is the amount of throttle response you get.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N cold air intake, Very happy with it
Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N too. As soon as the filter gets dirty I'm switching to the Amsoil cone. I have never seen a filter with both an outer pleat of filter material, and an inner cone of pleats.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks.

Welcome to TW Jen,
For what it's worth the stock intake with an AFE oil free drop-in has worked fine for me. The stock system draws air from outside the engine compartment, cold air, unlike some of the aftermarket versions and the drop-in AFE is very easy to service with just soap and water and no re-oiling. I also removed the secondary air filter and seem to get better throttle response from stock. Best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Stage 2 XP Air Intake System. Check out my pics for a shot of mine installed.
Quote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have an airaid intake for the 4.0 that im selling. the price is really good.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
408 TACO
TKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zik
TKOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Welcome to TW Jen,
For what it's worth the stock intake with an AFE oil free drop-in has worked fine for me. The stock system draws air from outside the engine compartment, cold air, unlike some of the aftermarket versions and the drop-in AFE is very easy to service with just soap and water and no re-oiling. I also removed the secondary air filter and seem to get better throttle response from stock. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Hey buddy, when you said you removed the secondary filter... are you talking about the one that is not remobable. The want that's next to the remobable air filter? And if it is, how did you did it? When i changed my filter i was trying to get that out too but it cannot come out. its permanent.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The secondary filter is permanently installed. Removing it won't do anything for the V6.

Products Discussed in this Thread