Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD True Cold Air Intake on 2.7L???

Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
URD True Cold Air Intake on 2.7L???

Prelude: I was going to respond to another thread, talking to pb2themax and then decided that this needed to be it's own thread. The quote's below should catch-you-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
Hi All,
I am in the final stages of my dual battery install for our FJ Cruiser.

Once it is finished I will move onto the Tacoma and do the same mod.
We like to camp and having an auxillary battery isolated from the starting battery is good insurance. I mostly will use if for running our 12-Volt Engel Fridge but eventually will wire offroad lights to the second fuse box.

My question is has anyone done this with their Tacoma and if so where did you mount the second battery?

If you want to check out my install you can see it here.
Happy Friday everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
I am hoping next month to get this started. I may go with a cheaper kit like the Painless kit but I am looking into it.
Will make sure to post plenty of pictures.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
If you get the URD intake then you'll open up some good space on the passengers side for a battery.

OKAY! Now I am really curious...

pb2themax, are you aware that surfponto and I both drive 2.7Ls? IF that is the case, here is my real set of questions:

1) Can you install the URD "True CAI" on a 2.7L 2nd Gen Tacoma?

2) What do you do about rain with your TCAI?

3) How is your fuel economy effected by the TCAI?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I forgot about the 4 cylinders.

No, I don't think this intake will work on those.

Rain and water is not a problem, or even a slight issue. Just don't drive through 4 foot deep water.

Not sure about MPG. With my recent engine mods It's hard to keep control of my right foot lately.

I'll let ya know once I go on a long road trip.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still confused , how can rain not be a problem with that intake? There is nothing to stop rain from getting to it when driving unlike most other CAI that put the filter in the fender. I can't imagine that the grill stops all the rain from getting to the filter.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK - I will definitely be using URD for any upgrades I do!!!

I wrote them an email asking about a TCAI on a 2.7L, and I got a call within 30 MINUTES FROM THE OWNER!!!

He said that while the TCAI is not yet made for the 2.7L, that the Mass Calibrator is the easiest way to get 9-10 "to-the-road" HP without effecting the MPG negatively! He said that in the next couple of weeks they will be offering a package of the Mass Calibrator with an Air/Fuel Monitor. I am saving my pennies as we speak!

URD has GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
OK - I will definitely be using URD for any upgrades I do!!!

I wrote them an email asking about a TCAI on a 2.7L, and I got a call within 30 MINUTES FROM THE OWNER!!!

He said that while the TCAI is not yet made for the 2.7L, that the Mass Calibrator is the easiest way to get 9-10 "to-the-road" HP without effecting the MPG negatively! He said that in the next couple of weeks they will be offering a package of the Mass Calibrator with an Air/Fuel Monitor. I am saving my pennies as we speak!

URD has GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
Great thanks for that :-)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeity View Post
I'm still confused , how can rain not be a problem with that intake? There is nothing to stop rain from getting to it when driving unlike most other CAI that put the filter in the fender. I can't imagine that the grill stops all the rain from getting to the filter.
It just doesn't. I've drove through plenty of hard rain.

If you're worried about it you can use a K&N DryCharger filter cover. It's a water resistent fabric filter cover that's made for JetSkis.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
If you're worried about it you can use a K&N DryCharger filter cover. It's a water resistent fabric filter cover that's made for JetSkis.
Good info! Thanks!