Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Scan Guage alternative (far better) for under $40

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #21
pyro13g will become famous soon enoughpyro13g will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Works with any Android phone and yes iPhone has an app but it goes by a different name....

@SurfInferno. Yes that will work it's what I got.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
So I read about this app online on Lifehacker and did this mod on my Tacoma and I love it! So heres the idea.

Parts needed:
  • ODB II Bluetooth (ebay for under $30 [ ships from China ] )
  • Smart phone (android based)
Thats it!

Program Used:
  • Torque (free version!) from the app store or market on andriod
The Build:

Get the bluetooth module and hook it up, it should be located under the dash around the e-break for the 05+ Tacomas and near the fuse panel. Just plug it in its that simple. On your cell phone, download the app, turn on blue tooth and connect to the device. Password is usually 1234. Turn the app on and enjoy, the nice thing is it has so much data that you can use from your engine and the great part is the gauges are totally customizable! Pick what you want and where it goes on the screen!

I recommend a window mount for your phone so your not staring at the gauges all day long, I have been looking at them non stop!

App Details, What it can do:
See what your car is doing!!

Torque is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool that uses Bluetooth ELM/OBD/PLX adapters to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU

It can use the GPS to provide tracker logs with engine logging so you can see what you were doing at any point in time

It can also show and reset a DTC / fault code like a scantool.

... Read More/>It also has:

* Dyno / Dynomometer and Horsepower/HP
* 0-60 timings - see how fast your car is (or truck )
* Massive fault code database for allowing lookup of fault codes from many different manufacturers
* Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice
* Heads up display / HUD
* GPS Speedo/Tracking - see what you were doing and your engine, at a point in time
* Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP sensors
* Alarms (for example if your coolant temperature goes over 120C!)

Works on any vehicle that supports the OBD2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000 (diesels after 2004) but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996) - if in doubt check with your manufacturer first or look for 'OBD2' on written on a big white label in your engine bay

Has been reported to work on vehicles made by GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Daewoo, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge and many more vehicle makes

If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 bluetooth adapters from ebay/amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller as quite a few of the cheap units are defective and 'stop working'/etc.

Some of the best reliable OBD2 adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey adapter, and PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth - search on google for where to get them!

More features added every release - there are forums at http://torque-bhp.com/ - if you want something added then let me know and I'll try to add it if it is possible!

Recent changes:
* Ability to trim 'Boost' readings

* Fixed missing dial backgrounds

* More settings including hiding the title bar and turning off GPS warnings

* MPG dials may need to be deleted and re-created with this release if they stopped working.

This is the cheapest and in my opinion far superior multi gauge than scan gauge. If you want help with setup pm me. I will add pics of my personal rig soon...
Not a fan of Ho Chi Man electronics...if that unit somehow fouls up something on your trusty truck,who are you going to complain to/sue....Oh,so sorry,no longer in buziness!.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #23
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
For 20 beans I don't think you can go wrong!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #24

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
I dont see how a ODBII reader would mess up your truck. You would have to do some serious programming(meaning build your own program to tune it) to mess it up. But i understand where your coming from... the only thing i would be out is $30 for the ODBII reader... so ill take the chance...
If you are not too sure about the unit I would be happy to crack mine open to show you the circuit board... if you know anything about electronics... I know enough to get me in trouble (like building a burning laser from a DVD drive and a old computer power supply) lol
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
why is the ODB II device for the iphone over $100? i would do this but not for that expensive of a device and i read the Rev app is $40 if you want the cool and important features....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #26

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need to pay $100 for the same thing they both run off Bluetooth unless your buying the cable that hooks into your car. But this is a Bluetooth program and it will work all the same...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #27
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. I'll have to look into this when I feel like buying the $40 iPhone app
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well my code reader came today, and after a little initial testing (drove up the block, i'm at work), it seems to work fine. I"m not really sure what most of it does but i'm getting a realtime mpg reading which is sweeeet...any tips about this program ? (torque)(using moto milestone - OG droid)
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #29

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Yea get some time to mess with it... There are multiple screens which if you hold down you can add gauges... I'll try to find a tutorial vid for you
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #31

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-Zv...e_gdata_player

Ok some British guy took 10 min to fully explain the app and does a good job of explaining it... So check it out and enjoy
Old 03-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #32
wombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud of

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Not a fan of Ho Chi Man electronics...if that unit somehow fouls up something on your trusty truck,who are you going to complain to/sue....Oh,so sorry,no longer in buziness!.
Hồ Chí Minh was Vietnamese, not Chinese

Iphone version $155. I don't think so......

http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motor.../dp/B0037X1QLO
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
Paintball FreaK !!!
bull3t12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bull3t12's Tacoma Gallery
i just ordered one hopefully by time it gets here still works.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #34
Captspaulding1000 is on a distinguished road
Captspaulding1000's Tacoma Gallery
got one from ebay on the cheap and it works. but the mpg seems messed up. i think the program is calculating it wrong.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #35

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you put in your engine size in the settings and there is a difference between the active mpgs and the average mpgs... Yes it will be off especially if you have any modifications, it is getting the information form the inboard computer so it tells you whatever the computer says lol....
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #36
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
So I read about this app online on Lifehacker and did this mod on my Tacoma and I love it! So heres the idea.

Parts needed:
  • ODB II Bluetooth (ebay for under $30 [ ships from China ] )
  • Smart phone (android based)

btw, your smart phone is from china as well...

and that is pretty cool, except half the measurements are bs... hp??? comeon! still a great tool though for test codes.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a OBDII Bluetooth (one pictured in OP's OP) on ebay for $20.00 shipped!!! Can't wait to get it in the mail so I can hook it up and try it out!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #38
rmarkey is on a distinguished road

rmarkey's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a cool gadget. If nothing else but to check and possibly clear codes it would be worth it. I guess the "droid does" still holds true.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #39
Resident MMA Fanatic

So yesterday after installed spark plugs I got my first codes!! Long story short I forgot to tighten the ODBII ground bolt.

I used Torque to diagnose and clear the codes no problemo!! Highly recommend. Even if the mpg reading is off, can you still get the idea that less gas pedal = high mpgs.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #40

pyro13g's Tacoma Gallery
Glad this thing is working for people, I mean for the price you cant beat it!

Products Discussed in this Thread