Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Advice on performance upgrades

Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
stanger is on a distinguished road
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on performance upgrades

OKay guys i've done lots of research and now I would like to know what your thoughts are for a cat back, CAI and headers for my truck(2003 3.4L V6)
I enjoy quality and would like to spend my money on products that will give me good performance gains as well as last a lifetime. What would you guys suggest? Thanks!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
get a jardine catback, doug thorley headers, and a pro dry s oil free filter and get rid of your secondary filter.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
get a jardine catback, doug thorley headers, and a pro dry s oil free filter and get rid of your secondary filter.
he has the 3.4 v6!!!

stanger....best bang for the buck....and dyno proven.....skip the intake and do the deck plate mod, and replace the filter with an afe pro dry s drop in filter. it will be the best say $15 for the deck plate, and $50 for the filter that you have ever spent. you can do headers if you want....the doug thorleys are great, trd also has some decent ones. as for a catback.....do do it. they cost way too much. some mufflers have a little performance over others, but not much....they are more for sound. just get the muffler of your choice welded in in place of the stock muffler, and you are set. mufflers for performance would be magnaflow or dynomax super turbo......for sound......go with a flowmaster 40.....sounds great!!

by the way...welcome to tw!!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh whoops. thats for a 4 banger. my bad. other than that do what Will said he knows his stuff.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
thanks alot will, now I was wondering with the headers would you recommend longtubes or shortys? performance wise.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
thanks alot will, now I was wondering with the headers would you recommend longtubes or shortys? performance wise.
Go long,lose your cats. w/the short you re-weld cats on. A pair of a second gen 4.0 cats. Better flow,keeps noise down,(not 100% on this one)pass smog? Food for thought.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #7

yup
Old 08-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
im gonna say go for long tubes if you can find them to fit the 3.4 v6.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
I did find them on urdusa.com and would you recommend geting the urd y-pipe with the DTLT aswell?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I did find them on urdusa.com and would you recommend geting the urd y-pipe with the DTLT aswell?
i would recommend it if money is no issue...........anything to free up the exhaust and make the motor breathe easier man.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
thanks alot for the help much appreciated!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
thanks alot for the help much appreciated!!
no problem man......its what we are here for!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
After your suggestions and more research i am planning to go with an AFE CAI, DT longtubes and a magnaflow catback Good setup?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After your suggestions and more research i am planning to go with an AFE CAI, DT longtubes and a magnaflow catback Good setup?
Sounds like a great set up. Along with the deck plate mod, you could get about 20 h.p. from those add ons.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sounds like a great set up. Along with the deck plate mod, you could get about 20 h.p. from those add ons.
Chris.....he is getting the complete cai.........so he wont be doing the deck plate mod.

stanger....sounds good to me man....just make sure you get the afe intake with the pro dry s filter......that way you wont have to worry about oiling the filter any.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Chris.....he is getting the complete cai.........so he wont be doing the deck plate mod.
Thanks, Will. I missed that.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thanks, Will. I missed that.
i think i'd rather do the deck plate mod with proven results than an expensive cai, but to each his own. he's still gonna have a good setup though!!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i think i'd rather do the deck plate mod with proven results than an expensive cai, but to each his own. he's still gonna have a good setup though!!
100% agreement!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
so guys i'm gonna go ahead and do the deck plate mod today any tips or tricks I need to know? also I'm going to order the AFE filter.. is it okay to just use my OEM filter till I get the AFE performance filter?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
stanger's Tacoma Gallery
in addtion will I still pass emissions with the DT longtubes?