Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Doug Thorley Headers!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley Headers!

so im going to buy some doug thorley Headers for my 97 2.7l taco, can anyone find a dyno for this? i need mostly low end, but i also need some high end. or does anyone know where i can find one? also short tubes give more low end right?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
equal length tubes are the number 1 thing to look for
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
equal length tubes are the number 1 thing to look for
Correct....However, A Try-Y header will have the most impact on low and midrange HP/Tq.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's why you the man!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks chris and oliver!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Correct....However, A Try-Y header will have the most impact on low and midrange HP/Tq.
Chris my good friend, this brings me to a question:

The LCE header equal length tubes, per dyno graph, shows more low and midrange power than the Doug Thorley Try-Y header....

Your thoughts?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

The LCE header equal length tubes, per dyno graph, shows more low and midrange power than the Doug Thorley Try-Y header....

Your thoughts?
Same engine?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Almost there

Yup
Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Yup
Interesting. The ones for my first gen 2.7 made less low end, but more top end, while the NWOR headers made much more low end, and midrange.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your thoughts?
Do you have the graph that you could post up? IMO, There seems to be a serious lack of hard info regarding these trucks when it comes to before/after dynos. (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots?)
Like w/ the headers, I feel like everyone recommends the DT long tubes b/c a few say they're badass, and everyone goes along.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting. The ones for my first gen 2.7 made less low end, but more top end, while the NWOR headers made much more low end, and midrange.
WARNING! Thread Jack.......

Curious if you've tried any of the 4.0 headers and have any input? If not, why'd you choose not to?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Do you have the graph that you could post up? IMO, There seems to be a serious lack of hard info regarding these trucks when it comes to before/after dynos. (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots?)
Like w/ the headers, I feel like everyone recommends the DT long tubes b/c a few say they're badass, and everyone goes along.
Go to LCE website and it will show a dt header and theirs in comparison for the 05+ 2.7
I personally have a dt and love it to death
Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
WARNING! Thread Jack.......

Curious if you've tried any of the 4.0 headers and have any input? If not, why'd you choose not to?
Not personally, but some of my buddies have. I dont like the long tubes as they remove the first cats, and I havent had the time, or money to get the shorties. The difference in performance is decent, but nothing extrodinary.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe on a NA truck. On a boosted truck the difference is night and day when you add longtubes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
Maybe on a NA truck. On a boosted truck the difference is night and day when you add longtubes
True.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not personally, but some of my buddies have. I dont like the long tubes as they remove the first cats, and I havent had the time, or money to get the shorties. The difference in performance is decent, but nothing extrodinary.
Thanks. What is your concern on the first cats? Environmental, exhaust flow,,,, other? On your buddy's trucks was there any low-end loss noticeable or quantifiable from a set of LTs?

I'm still trying to decide on the DTLTs on the group buy. Upside to the LTs is that if you don't like 'em, you can put the stockers back on. With the shorties, need to cut and weld first off, then if you don't like 'em, you need to cut and weld again.

Quote:
Yup, should have qualified my question to an NA truck.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Go to LCE website and it will show a dt header and theirs in comparison for the 05+ 2.7
I personally have a dt and love it to death
Sorry, I guess I should've mentioned that I was referring to the 4.0. Bad place since the OP is 2.7 I suppose....

Quote:
I'm not thrilled about removing the primary cats either, but I went w/ the LTs in the GB since they're more pricey. After I dyno w/ these, if I get results that I'm not thrilled w/, I'm going to grab some shorties and re-dyno.

I'm really curious to see some variations, like the LT w/ secondary cats, ST w/ Both cats and ST w/ just primary cats. I dont see the LT w/o any cats being at all beneficial to an NA motor.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Agreed. If I was building an FI truck, I'd certainly choose LTs w/ no secondary cats.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #19

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Thanks. What is your concern on the first cats? Environmental, exhaust flow,,,, other? On your buddy's trucks was there any low-end loss noticeable or quantifiable from a set of LTs?

I'm still trying to decide on the DTLTs on the group buy. Upside to the LTs is that if you don't like 'em, you can put the stockers back on. With the shorties, need to cut and weld first off, then if you don't like 'em, you need to cut and weld again.

Yup, should have qualified my question to an NA truck.
I cant speak for Chris, but my concern is backpressure for an NA motor.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:

Yes. He lost a bit of low end, but gained a decent amount on the top, after 3000 RPM. I dont want to loose low end, as I tow a boat, so the long tubes are out for me. I also dont like to run O2 simulators on my truck. Not a tree hugger, just personal preference.