Notices

URD or TRD supercharger

Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
URD or TRD supercharger

I have a few questions for yall with superchargers. Iv been looking at both and really like both setups but the thing that worries me the most is the ECU tuning do they both come with the hardware to reflash the computer or do you have to take it somewhere and have that done. Another thing is the ease of installarion, was it hard or fairly easy. And what kind of powerband did u get did u get more low, mid or top end power. I have a 08 D cab prerunner 4.0, just to clarify I really don have that much done to it for right now but am looking to upgrade. And do you have to run premium and how does it affect your gas mileage and do the kits come with everyhting you need for installation. My truck is my daily driver and it needs to be dependable and be able to complete the install on a day or two. Thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
S/c dealer install is listed at 6-8 hrs.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
spendy is relative. LOL

Breaks for my other car are 5500.

I heard the URD is the most hp right now. Buddy has one on his 02 and loves it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
the TRD install comes with a standard re-flashing of the ECU.

I believe that the URD needs to be dyno tuned.

I don't have either, so don't take my word as gospel.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
urd will put out better numbers but the warranty of the TRD is so hard to pass up.. atleast its on toyota if anything goes wrong with the trd charger
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoskim has a point there.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I would stick with the TRD, can't go wrong when Toyota is taking the responsibility! I plan on getting a TRD S/C in april
Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
spendy is relative. LOL

Breaks for my other car are 5500.

I heard the URD is the most hp right now. Buddy has one on his 02 and loves it.
Spendy is relative only if you are relating to something...I was asking what his plan was to be able to relate it...

And I'm still interested in the OP's reason to want a S/C before I'll say which one to get.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
theres a big difference between the two, the trd supercharger is a roots type, the urd is a centrifugal force type.

with the trd youll have all your boost at a 3000 rpm so if your planning on doing alot of towing that would be your best get.

the urd see boost thoughout the rpm, faster you go more boost you get.

both kits are great, if you want to keep the warrenty on your trcuk the trd is the best way to go. i decided to get the urd cause theres more upgrades for it and is more efficient. good luck man.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
urd will put out better numbers but the warranty of the TRD is so hard to pass up.. atleast its on toyota if anything goes wrong with the trd charger

if you have problems with the supercharger in stock for, then there is some underlying factor that needs to be addressed. now if you start modding with the supercharger on there, and then have problems, well you'll have enough more if the dealer wants to blame them on your other mods.

the urd kit will probably void you warranty if you blow your engine. Until you have a problem that you want the dealer to fix "under warranty" the urd will still be "under warranty" until it can be proven that it caused the current issue with the motor, and not any other part of the vehicle.

And besides, URD is much more stealthy. Im one of the few that dont like the whine of the TRD.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post
And besides, URD is much more stealthy. Im one of the few that dont like the whine of the TRD.
Ah... but when you start comparing 1/4 times.. TRD takes the cake.

When I go to hit the track this winter.. I have a feeling even the newest URD setup will have a hell of a time putting down equal or better numbers.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I have a feeling even the newest URD setup will have a hell of a time putting down equal or better numbers.
Keep dreaming...

Gadget
Old 09-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Keep dreaming...

Gadget
There's the big man...

I don't know.. maybe one of these days I'll make over to your neck of the woods and we'll see what's going on.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #15
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Keep dreaming...

Gadget
Welcome to TW Gadget. Glad you're here.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to jack this thread, but how much does each SC kit cost? New and estimate of used cost.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
Not trying to jack this thread, but how much does each SC kit cost? New and estimate of used cost.
You can get the TRD S/C new for $3700 --> http://www.toyotaterritory.com/tacoma.aspX

URD S/C $4895 --> http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=126019804

I got my TRD blower used (1k miles on it) for $2500.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
I chose the TRD

price, fitment, warranty, OEM look/feel....

I had toyota re-flash the ECU, the install was fairly straight-forward and I feel more comfortable knowing it's installed right and all the parts are torqued. Plus, I used new gaskets and sealed everything up. And if there's an issue, I will know how to pull everything apart.

=D
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the TRD
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery

It is making even more power now...

Gadget