1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD MAF Sensor Calibrator question?????

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by shaman06, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    shaman06

shaman06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport
    Is a URD MAF Sensor Calibrator like a performance chip, or something entirely different. What exactly does it do?:D

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Exactly.

I am looking forward to buying one here in the near future. I have a Volant CAI and it is a jacked up intake. It makes my check engine light come on, and i get shitty gas mileage. Gadget has told me that this calibrator will fix everything.

3. Feb 9, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    shaman06

shaman06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport
    It sounds promising, I am going to look into one, thanks guys.

4. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I have one and will report that it only helps if you are in OPEN loop mode. Since most of my driving is under 2500 rpm's i didn't notice any improvement.

5. Feb 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    So you're saying it isn't worth it?

6. Feb 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Ya all the closed loop driving has set parameters by the ECU, the URD MAFC only works when the truck is in open loop ie cold start, full throttle, or letting off the gas in gear (manual, worded kind of weird but if you have a manual trans you will know what I am talking about). I guess this could be one way of saving a little gas on cold start up by leaning out the mixture instead of running it so rich, but then if you do that it will take longer to warm up and such.

7. Feb 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Isn't that a bit backwards? My understanding is:
    • Closed - reads the O2 sensors for AF ratio and adjusts injectors as needed
    • Open - uses the ECU fuel map only as either; the O2 sensors are not ready; or can't be read quickly enough
    The MAF calibrator adjusts the ECU fuel maps so fuel delivery in open loop can be adjusted, like you've said.

8. Feb 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I might have confused myself. Closed loop uses O2 sensors and open uses a fuel map. Thought I said that?? Oh well maybe I did not

9. Feb 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    I have the Volant intake and the MAF calibrator and it doesnt take any longer to warm up. I dont know where you got that info but it just isnt true! It drastically improved my air flow and i feel improvement weather it is at 1500rpm's or running fully open at like 4000 rpm's:cool: Without the MAF calibrator my volant intake ran very rich not enough air! If you dont have a intake or exhaust system, or headers, etc... i wouldnt see any need for installing this in your truck. Its no help for the stock system!

10. Feb 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Sounds like there is quite of bit of info here, some good, some not (not even entirely sure where I fall....). I would recommend that you talk with URD/Gadget on this to clarify.

I don't believe that the MAF cali has any affect on the engine mgmt when in closed loop operation, no matter how I or anyone else has described it.

11. Feb 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I understand what you're saying, but I just don't know who/what is actually correct now. I'd seen some good information a while back on the MAF cali, which I can't find it now, where it was explained that it had no affect when in Closed loop. I'm basing my comments on that. Even though it's called a MAF Calibrator, it appeared to be more of a fuel map adjustment tool to me.

If someone wants more, need to head to the (URD) source !

12. Feb 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Exactly... You will see benefits of this only when you drive above 75% or so throttle. I know that thats about 10% of my driving...LOL

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Not to me. I put on my AFE stage 2 si intake. I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery. I then drove the truck around for a bit. I noticed improved throttle response and less downshifts from 5th to 4th. Then i installed the maf calibrator and didn't notice any improvement. It seemed to me i lost a little. After driving the truck a bit and talking Gadgets ear off i then proceeded to drive the truck a little harder and could tell it made all of it's improvements in the upper rpm's and at WOT. Like i said i very rarely drive my truck over 2500 rpm's so i don't see the benefit of having it. If i would have known more about it before i purchased it. I wouldn't have bought it. If you drive your truck in OPEN loop a lot then you will see a nice improvement. It all depends on how you plan on driving your truck. I drive slow and just putt around! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top