1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone on here installed their own shorty headers????

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Redtaco77, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    Redtaco77

Redtaco77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    3'' lift and striaght pipes!
    I am tempted to buy some JBA shorty headers that I found for a decent price locally. I have read the steps and understand the basics of the install process. I installed my lift myself and have general knowledge of how to do this stuff. Has anyone on here made the attept? If so please let me know how it is!

There is no way I would want to pay 500 bucks for the install. I just can't decide if I should just go for it or not. I have access to a welder and any tool I need. What do yall think??

2. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Whats holding you back?

3. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    If you can weld pretty good then i say go for it. I want some shorties but cant justify paying that much for the headers then having to pay another $200 plus for install.

4. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    TACO2003

TACO2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 TRD 4X4 Black Tacoma
    6" Fabtech Suspension lift. Headers with dual exhaust. Flowmaster muflers. Engine Computer chip. Tiregate with spare tire. Mickie's TTC Claws 315/75R/16 tires. Dick Cepec DC II wheels. Shrockwork front winch bumper. 8,000 Lb Warn Winch. Heavy duty leaf springs. K&N cool air intake. Sprayed bed liner. Bushwacker flare fenders. 1/2" Steel plated rear bumper.
    I had a different set installed by the shop who did my lift along with all new exhaust system. The only thing to look out for is the nut/bolts kept vibrating loose. We ended up double nutting them. Good luck!

5. Feb 10, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I guess it depends really if you have access to the tools and equipment to install it. I'd say if you have access to power tools with a compressor and a lift than go for it. However if you don't have any one of those two installing headers the old fashion way can be a total pain in the ass. Especially if after you install it you have a leak or a header bolt comes loose which is pretty common.

6. Feb 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I'd say go for it. I installed the TRD headers on my Taco myself. It was an all day thing for me, as I had to take the cat to get it welded, and had a family function in the middle of my install. I didn't have a lift, so I had to put the truck up on jack stands. It seems like there was one or two exhaust nuts that I couldn't torque and to use a wrench and "guesstimate" how tight they were. I did recheck all the exhaust nuts several times to make sure they stayed tight, and I never had any back off.

7. Feb 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Redtaco77

Redtaco77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    3'' lift and striaght pipes!
    Thanks for all the help everyone! The only thing that was worrying me was having a leak somewhere or loosing a bolt. I just wanted to make sure others have done it successfully! Sounds like I have a new project to do

8. Feb 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Yea, I think you'll be fine. Someone just posted in the 2nd gen section about installing them today. shoot him a pm for tips...he mentioned one slight issue, but that may not effect all the 2.7 headers.

Products Discussed in

To Top