Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Best upgrades under warrante

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
motivated learner
baldbastard is on a distinguished road

baldbastard's Tacoma Gallery
Best upgrades under warrante

Just bought a brand new 08 TRD off road 4door. I live in southwest Colorado on the door step of the San Juans, so there is plenty of awesome off-roading to be had. Unfortunatly I also have a 45 mile (each way) drive 2 days a week. This being a brand new truck, it is still under warrante and I'm looking at the cat back TRD exaust and eventually a TRD CAI. Anyone have the setup? Do you see any mpg benifit. Advice appriciated
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Casey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud ofCasey05Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbastard View Post
Just bought a brand new 08 TRD off road 4door. I live in southwest Colorado on the door step of the San Juans, so there is plenty of awesome off-roading to be had. Unfortunatly I also have a 45 mile (each way) drive 2 days a week. This being a brand new truck, it is still under warrante and I'm looking at the cat back TRD exaust and eventually a TRD CAI. Anyone have the setup? Do you see any mpg benifit. Advice appriciated
I dont have the setup as of now but soon as i get money i will be doing the same thing to mine. Also welcome to TW and you bought a gret truck. Hope you enjoy it
Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome BB, the area you live is beautiful, I remember it well from my cross country camping trip many years ago..... As far as your question, I only have a TRD exhaust & an AFE Dry filter, no CAI. If you buy, here's a vendor who gives the best internet deal on both shipped to your door.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=133493

Welcome to TW & congrats on your new tacoma.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
motivated learner

Thanks for the welcome gents. Hey xedge, do you see any mpg improvment with the afe dry filter?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
I got the TRD CAI first and about a month later the TRD Exhaust. Felt like there may have been a little bit of power increase, I could feel it when accellerating, but not what i expected. It will definitely growl when i step on the gas which also equals alot less gas in my tank. Overall I like it but if i had to do over I would keep the exhaust and save $350 by just dropping in an AFE dry filter. best thing you can do to save gas is try to keep RPM's under 2000.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Bamban is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Radar A/N TPS 43-E,Tactical Air Command
Bamban's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have both in my 4x4 4.0L 08. I am not sure if I got mileage improvement, I can tell you combined driving traffic and highway, with the city driving being about 30% I get around 21 mpg. Highway speed is mostly under 75. I may get better, but I love the sound so I listen to it more often than I should.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Ok I keep seeing the "will i lose my warranty if I mod" question.

YOU CAN MOD YOU CAR and not be out of warranty.

John .. VS (I think GM - will need to find the court case)

At any rate if you put a intake on your truck and the motor blows up. It is the burden of the dealer to show that the intake was a direct cause of the failure and not a design issue. In most cases dealers just say that is what it is andblame you the owner. However they need to prove that you are at fault. So it you want to use a supercharger go for it. Even if the motor dies they have to prove that the part cause the failure and not a design defect.

The question really should not be on warranty but how much are you willing to prove your case in case the worst happens.

If anyone know the court case I am referring to post a link.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome gents. Hey xedge, do you see any mpg improvment with the afe dry filter?
Honestly, I haven't checked. I got it more for not having to buy another filter more than improving mpg, but have heard it can improve 1mpg or so? If you do a search on the AFE group buy, there are a couple of TW members who have posted real time numbers, both towing & normal driving. I still have the secondary installed w/ the AFE. Maybe somebody will chime in here who keeps track.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
motivated learner

Thanks again for the wisdom m3dragon. Please disregard the post on the other thread. I read it before I saw this one. I'll probably do the exhaust, and wait a bit on the intake.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Quote:
Thanks again for the wisdom m3dragon. Please disregard the post on the other thread. I read it before I saw this one. I'll probably do the exhaust, and wait a bit on the intake.
IMHO do the intake first. Most bang for the buck. Until some tuners out there find that there is a market here the upgrades parts are limited.

If you have cash to burn you can get the following and still be in warranty. (even though the dealer might say you are not)

Here would be the Ultimate Tacoma 4.0 modification using current parts and some customizing.

Performance Upgrades:

- URD Super charger system
- Larger front mounted inter cooler
- Custom under drive pulleys for - Water pump & power Steering - Alternator only if you do not want to run ICE modifications.
- JBA header to custom exhaust into 1 pair of 100 cel cats - if not caring about smog go to the long tube headers with no cats
- TRD muffler
- Larger 2/3 core aluminum radiator
- Electric fan - removes persite drag of the mechanical one (yes I know it has a clutch but still frees up hp when removed =p
- Larger oil cooler

Exterior upgrades

- Install the X runner kit - Reduces aerodynamic drag
- Bed cover
- Short antenna

Wheels, tires, suspension, brakes:

- Stopteck front break kit
- Large front sways
- Rear sways
- 18 inch ASA rims (only 23lb a rim vs 29 stock)
- 255, 55, 18 tires, (dealers choice for application)
- Stiffer shocks - once the stock ones are dead
- SOS rear disc conversion - Brembo roters with hawk pads
- Stainless steel lines
- ATB super blue / gold

That is all I can think of right now. Problem is all of the parts listed are either available or you need to custom apply them.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
fresh taco
redlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
redlight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamban View Post
I have both in my 4x4 4.0L 08. I am not sure if I got mileage improvement, I can tell you combined driving traffic and highway, with the city driving being about 30% I get around 21 mpg. Highway speed is mostly under 75. I may get better, but I love the sound so I listen to it more often than I should.
I fully agree with Bamban.

I've got the same setup (and live in Denver) - new '08 TRD Off Road w/TRD CAI and exhaust. I commute and drive around 50mph average. I'm seeing mostly upper teens and lower 20's depending on whether I'm listening to the stereo or the exhaust notes

I am pretty interested in getting the truck dyno'd to see what gains are given by the upgrades. I got the upgrades after a couple hundred miles and so I'm not sure I can tell what sort of "noticable" difference it made. Sure looks and sounds good though - I get compliments from hard to impress people.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
motivated learner

Any Issues with emissions? I've heard that the TRD CAI isn't street legal. Thoughts?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
fresh taco
redlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Any Issues with emissions? I've heard that the TRD CAI isn't street legal. Thoughts?
I just looked up and called the Colorado State Emissions Technical Center (303-744-2442) and was told that as long as none of the emissions related components (sensors, etc) are removed or compromised, then there is no problem. It's fine to replace with aftermarket components that are designed for the specific vehicle. I was told that the TRD CAI and exhaust (that I have) are perfectly within regulation.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
motivated learner

damn redlight, strong work. If you are ever in the Durango area let me know, I owe you a beer.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #16
fresh taco
no worries, but if I am, I'll take you up on that.

I constantly hear rumors about what is street legal and not, so I figured I'd debunk it. I figured the dealer would not install the components if it was at any risk of breaking regulations.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
motivated learner

You don't happen to have a recording of your truck posted somewhere?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
fresh taco
I don't... at some point I'm going to get a portable audio recorder, but it'll probably be a few months cuz I want a nice one.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
C Simpson is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Caleb
C Simpson's Tacoma Gallery
Ever figure out what case this is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Ok I keep seeing the "will i lose my warranty if I mod" question.

YOU CAN MOD YOU CAR and not be out of warranty.

John .. VS (I think GM - will need to find the court case)

At any rate if you put a intake on your truck and the motor blows up. It is the burden of the dealer to show that the intake was a direct cause of the failure and not a design issue. In most cases dealers just say that is what it is andblame you the owner. However they need to prove that you are at fault. So it you want to use a supercharger go for it. Even if the motor dies they have to prove that the part cause the failure and not a design defect.

The question really should not be on warranty but how much are you willing to prove your case in case the worst happens.

If anyone know the court case I am referring to post a link.
I've tried looking but haven't been able to find anything
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Holy necropost Batman!

Almost 5 years old this thread.

And the law is the Magnusson-Moss Act.