Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Powerstroke in a Toyota Pickup??

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
jcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud ofjcremeans11 has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
jcremeans11's Tacoma Gallery
Powerstroke in a Toyota Pickup??

Seems like it would be a sick summer project, but would it fit? Not necessarily a Powerstroke, but really any kind of American diesel truck engine, something I could find at a junk yard. Obviously, they're probably not going to have too many Hilux diesel engines in a junkyard around me in Ohio, but I'm sure I could find a Powerstroke or Duramax pretty easily and for pretty cheap. So, thoughts? Would a 5+ liter engine have a chance at fitting into a Toyota Pickup?

Sorry if it sounds stupid, the idea just popped into my head so I though I'd ask
Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I would guess any of the big three's diesels would not fit.
Best bet would be either a Cummings or is it an Isuzu engine (?) out of a delivery truck... can't remember what they call those but I am sure someone will be along shortly who will know.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you could make it fit, but don't know what kind of modifications you would have to do to make it possible (i.e. firewall modification, remove fender wells). Anything is possible, but just not sure why you wouldn't buy a truck with a diesel already in it.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cummings 4BT, that's what I was thinking of. Lots of people online swapping them into older 4x4s and such.

Here's one in an older Land Crusher....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8qXQA-YhU
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is a great Idea but it would be a lot of work and there are almost endless problems that might come up.

Just to name a few
you would need a new tranny, its a lot heavier so probably new suspension, not sure how the tranny would hook up to the taco axle but you could probably figure it out.

If I had unlimited money I would put a Cummin in to a tacoma, But that is with unlimited money and time lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
4bt cummins Small and badass
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
I feel so Devo

AH HA!
(sorry for being a post ho but I just remember this)
there is this company that I posted about that does diesel swaps on Land Cruisers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
If this is a re-post I apologize but i searched and didn't see anything.
Saw one in the new issue of 4wheel and Off Road, did some looking on the internets and found this company that swaps cummings into landcruisers.
just thought I would share (see link, sorry it wouldn't let me link to their pics).

http://www.proffittscruisers.com/res...onversion.html
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
With enough time, skill and money you can pretty much put anything into anything.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
I just saw a jeep on craigslist that someone put a 4cyl mercedes diesel in, it was pretty cool.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I guess money talks & u can always go to Mexico and buy a hilux diesel engine
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
I have a contact that can get Toyota diesels engines and drivetrains from Europe if you want to go toyota route
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah anything is possible, but you have to consider the size of the engine vs. the size of the engine bay in most cases.

Have you opened the hood of a powerstroke ot duramax lately?? They are far larger than standard V8 motors so I wouldnt even think about it, lol.

I was swapping a 1GR into my 98 Tacoma at one time and even that was going to damn near poke out the top of the hood it is so tall. Now I am doing the LS1 and it fits very nicce since it is a very low profile motor and very light due to its all aluminum construction, a moderd diesel V8 weighs around 900 lbs alone, hows that for upsetting the weight bias...

But like said above, with enough time and money you can do just about anything, but it would not be for the fabrication impaired individual..

Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
gm makes a 350 deisel probly find one in a junkyard esspecially out of a fuzo truck
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
4bt, mercedes and vw are common swaps for a samurai, so i'm sure it could be done in a tacoma.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIhZ...embedded#at=57
Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Think logically for once.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
a PSD weights around 1000 lbs, on the 7.3, which is the only one worth anything. small cummins would be sick, but not cheap
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
tacosrule is on a distinguished road
Army: Carl R Darnall Army Medical Center
tacosrule's Tacoma Gallery
idk about the size of the diesels. but at SEMA they had a Tacoma with a Tundra engine
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 91 reg cab 2wd.. were planing on slamming it and dropping an LS1 in it... my buddy is a GM mechanic, he has an LS1 and an LT1 that are both worked.. the LT is in his camaro, the LS1 is on the stand collecting dust .. should be a pretty nasty little truck
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has a 95 with a cummings 6.7L turbo diesel it took him all summer and 9 grand