Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gas Mileage: 400+ per tank - Good?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #21
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
My average as of now is, 19.9 mpg but I always stay around 60mph Hwy.
I do Miles / gallons, 20 gallons gets me 390 +- normal driving. Now if I'm in a hurry, well lets say it drops down to 16-17, If I hotrod it, then the drop hits 13mpg. All in how ya pedal it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #22
saskcan is on a distinguished road
Name: Curtis
saskcan's Tacoma Gallery
ha; im pushing like 450 km per tank! 400 miles per tank is awsome! but i have standard so i guess thats why! (km/tank works ok for me cause i make a 450 km trip frequently and get the low fuel light as i reach destination; in really cold weather i cant event make 450 km, and in summer its more like 500km per tank)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
Roughly I get about 100 miles per every quarter tank. At a full tank, it doesn't even drop until it hits 60-65 miles. Ast about 120-130 I hit the first quarter tank down mark. After this it varies, from the way I drive to traffic.
This is almost identical to mine. 60ish it dips below full, and 110-120 I'm at the 1/4 tank. Then 180-200 half tank, 250-275 3/4 tank, and 320-340 as the light comes on (17ish gallons). I never get the 400 before the light comes on though.

I drive 72 on the highway almost exclusively. Light to moderate acceleration, etc. Not a hypermiler but I'm conscious of the gas gauge. But in KS, with all the driving I do, 60 mph just isn't going to happen. I'm satisfied with still pulling 19-20 mpg with my driving style. What pisses me off is when I don't change my driving style but get 16-17 (winter, ethanol, etc). Best I've gotten was 22.5 in the mountains of CO, as crazy as that is.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #25
bfaisok is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
bfaisok's Tacoma Gallery
I just did a bunch of mods and came down from 400 to 330 before the light came on. It was my first tank since the mods so I will be keeping my eye on it. I found that before the mods to get 400 a tank I had to keep it below 68-70 with low RPM shifts, 68-70 was like a sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.on.black View Post
I used to get 400. I used to consistently get 21 mpg on long road trips. It's gone down to about 280 to a tank since all the mods.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #26
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskcan View Post
ha; im pushing like 450 km per tank! 400 miles per tank is awsome! but i have standard so i guess thats why! (km/tank works ok for me cause i make a 450 km trip frequently and get the low fuel light as i reach destination; in really cold weather i cant event make 450 km, and in summer its more like 500km per tank)

OK GUY, if my calculations are correct you aren't even getting 300 miles to the tank

Just converted km to miles
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
You guys need to realize a couple things.

1) Looks like the OP has no weight carrying mods
2) Mostly freeway driving
3) He goes slow, he is the one you people get mad at for going under the speed limit

Now from the posts I have read, everyones got lifts, tires, ect and have commutes (from my perspective) that are not all freeway driving. So with all the additional mods and city driving you all do, its simply impossible to achieve his numbers.

And I also agree with the rest of the people that say post up the MPG not the miles per tank...who knows, for all we know you could be driving the tank to bone dry and filling her up with 20-20.5 gallons which would make your MPG 20, 19.5 instead of filling up right around the light 16-17 gallons, 25-23.5 MPG.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #28
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately there is one flaw in how you are reporting these numbers. You say that you get roughly 100 miles per 1/4 tank. Have you actually made it to 400 miles on a tank or are you extrapolating from the 1st 3/4 tank? the marks are inexact and have different drop rates so the gas used to get to the first 1/4 tank mark does not necessarily equate to the gas used to get from the 1st to the 2nd, etc.

Also, what gusotto seems to be trying to say, if in an unnecessarily rude way, is that you really only get a true measure of mileage using the mpg. It's the average so driving differently at different times does not effect the number. It's still going to look at the entire tank's worth of driving. People fill up at different times (some fill up with 1/4 tank remaining, some go 20 miles past the E mark) so calculating mpg is the best comparison.

that being said, getting 400 miles out of a tank is quite an accomplishment. The fact that it's mostly highway driving at a steady and reasonable speed is why it's so high.

EDIT: looks like some folks beat me to the punch while I was typing.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Calling me ignorant is a bit rude sir. I calculate miles per tank simply because at different times I drive differently. If I drove the same all day long, then yes I would calculate MPG.
Sorry if you took it the wrong way but I just wanted to catch your attention.
MPG is the only way to figure gas mileage as the fuel tank indicator drops different, depending on position of the float.
Running a tank until almost empty isn't very wise because if the fuel pump is in the tank, it needs the fuel around it to help cool the pump.
All you are doing by running to almost empty is using up the life of the fuel pump. People forget the pump needs the cooling of the surrounding gas.
Replacing a fuel pump isn't cheap.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
SuperWhiteTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
SuperWhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha damn im pullin like 320 a tank thats crazy. well im always goin 85 on the freeway hahaha
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I average 18.5 MPG , calculated in US gallons in my V6 DCLB .

Impressive numbers if accurate OP.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #32
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
Unfortunately there is one flaw in how you are reporting these numbers. You say that you get roughly 100 miles per 1/4 tank. Have you actually made it to 400 miles on a tank or are you extrapolating from the 1st 3/4 tank? the marks are inexact and have different drop rates so the gas used to get to the first 1/4 tank mark does not necessarily equate to the gas used to get from the 1st to the 2nd, etc.

Also, what gusotto seems to be trying to say, if in an unnecessarily rude way, is that you really only get a true measure of mileage using the mpg. It's the average so driving differently at different times does not effect the number. It's still going to look at the entire tank's worth of driving. People fill up at different times (some fill up with 1/4 tank remaining, some go 20 miles past the E mark) so calculating mpg is the best comparison.

that being said, getting 400 miles out of a tank is quite an accomplishment. The fact that it's mostly highway driving at a steady and reasonable speed is why it's so high.

EDIT: looks like some folks beat me to the punch while I was typing.

Like I said, I have gone 425miles without filling it up again. Sure I may have been under a gallon of gasoline, but it does it.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #33
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like I said, I have gone 425miles without filling it up again. Sure I may have been under a gallon of gasoline, but it does it.

So that works out to just over 21 MPG. Not unheard of for highway miles. I'm averaging right around 18.6 for the life of my truck (keep every receipt then put the data into a spreadsheet) and have had a few tanks averaging over 20.5 on the highway when loaded down. It's still pretty damn good but the fact that you're taking the gas down to the limit is really the main driver.

Like gus said, there's potential for wear on the fuel pump doing that regularly. My main concern is that you have no idea when you'll run out of fuel taking it past the E. Hope you carry a gas can...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Most I have gotten was 368 miles.
That was with on 19 gallons to fill.
I could have rode an extra 40 miles I guess on the last two gallons but I am not sure where tank turns from empty to dry.

I think on mine the fuel guage is not prefectly consistant (or our tanks are shaped like some sort of hour glass):
First 1/4 about 100 miles
2nd 1/4 about 80 miles
3rd about 110 miles
last 1/4 about 130 miles (but think i have fuel left for an extr 40 miles)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #35
Sheepshead45 is on a distinguished road
Sheepshead45's Tacoma Gallery
Last time I filled up it was at 403 miles, took 18.3 gallons = 22mpg.

I still had a couple of gallons left, so I could have gone roughly 440 miles before running it dry.

This is a 2010 prerunner 4cyl 5 speed manual, 75% highway.

Backing into the math, you have to get at least 19 mpg to hit 400 miles on a tank, and that's running it dry. 4X4's, 6 cyl, and slushboxes probably won't get there.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepshead45 View Post

Backing into the math, you have to get at least 19 mpg to hit 400 miles on a tank, and that's running it dry. 4X4's, 6 cyl, and slushboxes probably won't get there.
Since I started keeping track with Gas Cubby in November , I average 18.5 MPG in a V6 , 4x4 , auto . Rural driving , hardly any highway , and some 4x4 in snow .
Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #37
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Since I started keeping track with Gas Cubby in November , I average 18.5 MPG in a V6 , 4x4 , auto . Rural driving , hardly any highway , and some 4x4 in snow .
Agreed, I can get 19 or so pretty easily in my 4x4 DCSB auto.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #38
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
325 miles with 1/4 tank left!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #39
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Filled up today. Light had come on 10 miles before I filled up....and had 426.2 miles on the tank.

Not bad!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i got 400 once all highway 70mph. fully loaded too with 4 people and the bed FULL