Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gas Mileage: 400+ per tank - Good?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #41
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
wow, im jealous..Most of the time I cant go over 200 miles in a tank before fill up.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
just did my first oil change last weekend since i got my truck and have had an INCREDIBLE improvement in mpg. I was gettin around 17mpg before, and now I'm at half a tank left and 205mi on the trip. thats 22.7mpg!!!

i hope i can make it to 400 this tank, and every one there after
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #43
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
i just got my taco last friday and have put roughly 270 miles on it and i'm at about 1/8 tank left... so i'm looking at 300 miles at best.

my guess would also be that the dealership doesn't use high quality gas? but i could be wrong. wither way, i only buy chevron, so tomorrow when i fill up i look forward to doing the math on a full tank of chevron to get more accurate numbers.

that being said, i would LOVE to hit 400 in this thing... I look forward to some mods to help me get there.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Best tank I have gotten was 406 and that came out to 23mpg. Gotta love my 4 banger!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #45
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
my best friends cousins uncle gets 25-28 mpg in his 4x4 with 35's and 6" lift......
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #46
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I get 26mpg sometimes with full long travel.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #47
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
I get over 22 easily with my '01.

I don't have any need to run the tank dry as the only thing you'll do is let the fuel pump, that is missing the cooling of the surrounding gas, get hot and possibly lead to early failure.

I get gas when I need it. It's that simple.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You guys need to realize a couple things.

1) Looks like the OP has no weight carrying mods
2) Mostly freeway driving
3) He goes slow, he is the one you people get mad at for going under the speed limit

Now from the posts I have read, everyones got lifts, tires, ect and have commutes (from my perspective) that are not all freeway driving. So with all the additional mods and city driving you all do, its simply impossible to achieve his numbers.

And I also agree with the rest of the people that say post up the MPG not the miles per tank...who knows, for all we know you could be driving the tank to bone dry and filling her up with 20-20.5 gallons which would make your MPG 20, 19.5 instead of filling up right around the light 16-17 gallons, 25-23.5 MPG.
Precisely. I have 1000lbs+ worth of tools in the bed of my truck at all times. I do short trips mostly in city, stop and go. And I have lead foot mod

Said that I get 200-220miles per tank IF I am lucky
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
That is really good. Very few of us ever reach the 400 club. This spring it is my goal to get in.
I joined the club 3 months ago (still waiting on the jacket).
Well I broke my old record last month, I got 429.2 miles on a tank. It took 20.851 gallons to refill (20.584 mpg), so I wont be breaking that record until they switch to summer gas (when I get 23.5 to 24.5 mpg). The light came on at 353.7 and I figured I could make 1 more trip, and I did with 0.249 gallons to spare (5 gallons of just in case gas always in the back). 70 mile round trip commute on hilly freeway cruise control set at 70 to 75 mph 60 miles of the trip.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #50
wudbuchr is on a distinguished road

Navy: CWO3 USN-Ret (7445)
Name: Linnie
wudbuchr's Tacoma Gallery
400 miles per tank club??

Just a newbie here. Have a 2012 Prerunner that I babied for the first 500 miles (from the old school) My first fill-up I averaged 21.853 MPG, my second fill-up I got 22.891 MPG, and I am still working on the third tank. Getting 400 (+) on a tank is not difficult - just keep your foot out of the throttle-body and the RPMs at <2,000. Changed oil at 535 miles and installed my Fumoto valve - I don't know who the behemouth was who put the filter on my engine at the factory but that guy has been working out ALOT! I like to never got the sucker off.

Still trying to compete with my bride and her 2006 Prius (she is getting 53 + on the road and more that 47 in town). Now, if I could just get that level of economy out of my Taco . . .
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #51
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I filled up within 1/2 mile of the light coming on and my trip-ometer read 311 miles. That is before you factor in the difference from my 35" tires. So I am very pleased. I have the 6-speed, 35's with 6" lift. This was exclusively all highway non-stop..
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
wudbuchr is on a distinguished road

Navy: CWO3 USN-Ret (7445)
Name: Linnie
wudbuchr's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles to a tank?

If you drive by the fuel gauge and want to how far you can go on a tank, next time you fill up, stop pumping when the pump shuts off (don't top off). Drive until your fuel gauge covers the first quarter mark completely and fill up again, stopping when the pump shuts off. Again, drive until the needle covers the half tank mark and fill up (don't top off). Repeat this one more time, refueling when the needle covers the three quarter mark. you now will have a good ballpark guesstimate of how far you can go on each quarter tank. You will be surprised at how far that first quarter will take you, and how little distance you can get out of the last quarter. This information will help you estimate how far the remaining fuel will take you so you can better gauge when to start looking for a gas station. Your driving habits will influence all these guestimates. However if you follow the above procedure and drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and the accellerator, you will have a good idea of the maximum distances you can travel on each portion of a tank. See you on the Square!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #53
Schenko is on a distinguished road
Army: cav scout
Schenko's Tacoma Gallery
I calculate both. but honestly it doesnt matter. and im jealous. i have an 03 with a 3.4 and on all my trips across country i set the cruise at 60-65 and no matter what i only get roughly 300 per tank. i found i get the best gas mileage with shell gas. and when the temp outside is over 70. my truck has been around ft hood for most of its life though so i guess it likes the heat.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #54
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Running around with little gas in the tank is only going to shorten the life of the fuel pump.
The fuel pump needs the cooling of the gas to keep from over-heating.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #55
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sheeeeeit, i'm lucky to get 300 per tank
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #56
Schenko is on a distinguished road
Army: cav scout
Schenko's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone noticed an increase in gas mileage with a little weight in the bed? i spent a few days hauling my gear back and forth to work which is a all highway and mileage increased for those days
Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #57
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
My gas light comes on right around 260 miles and I drive very conservatively...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #58
ahjones92 is on a distinguished road
Name: adam
ahjones92's Tacoma Gallery
im gettin about 24 mpg right now
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #59
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
holy crap... i get about 320 per tank (when light turns on).. ive been saving my receipts and mileage everytime i filled up....

is a scan gauge 2 worth it?
I have the same truck and get around 320 as well. I had a 09 plain PreRunner v6 before this one and was hitting 400 every time. I don't get it, but according to fuelly, I am getting decent mileage. Never tracked it in the 09.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #60
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wudbuchr View Post
Just a newbie here. Have a 2012 Prerunner that I babied for the first 500 miles (from the old school) My first fill-up I averaged 21.853 MPG, my second fill-up I got 22.891 MPG, and I am still working on the third tank. Getting 400 (+) on a tank is not difficult - just keep your foot out of the throttle-body and the RPMs at <2,000. Changed oil at 535 miles and installed my Fumoto valve - I don't know who the behemouth was who put the filter on my engine at the factory but that guy has been working out ALOT! I like to never got the sucker off.

Still trying to compete with my bride and her 2006 Prius (she is getting 53 + on the road and more that 47 in town). Now, if I could just get that level of economy out of my Taco . . .
The filter thing is common. I had to get a pipe wrench and basically broke mine apart getting it off.