Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Gas Mileage: 400+ per tank - Good?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage: 400+ per tank - Good?

I have a 2010 PreRunner TRD crew cab with 20k miles. I put in a K&N filter on, slowed my driving on the hwy from 70mph to 60mph and get an average of 400 miles per take, but on occasion have reached 425-435.

Are these good numbers? Anything more I can do to get this higher?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
That is really good. Very few of us ever reach the 400 club. This spring it is my goal to get in.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds pretty damn good to me
Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You should really calculate miles per gallon not miles per tank.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!!!! I am driving like an old man and I am getting 270-sh. 400 is nearly impossible.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
OK. How many gallons will the tank hold. I think it is 18 or 19, right? Also, my mileage should improve once we get past this winter blend, right?

I use nothing but Valero gas as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A double cab has a 21.1 gallon capacity. When you calculate MPG it is miles divided by gallons used.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
400? Holy shit.. Best I get is 330 and that is really pushing it. How the hell you get 400.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Roughly I get about 100 miles per every quarter tank. At a full tank, it doesn't even drop until it hits 60-65 miles. Ast about 120-130 I hit the first quarter tank down mark. After this it varies, from the way I drive to traffic.

I am very surprised (and proud) to know I get a better gas mileage than most here. I travel exactly 70 miles round trip for work each day. Again, I only got about 350-375 when I ran it at 70mph on the highway. Dropping my drive down to 60mph on the hwy (they are all 65mph here anyways in Dallas/Fort Worth) my MPG's improved greatly. Again, I think it might be the gas too. I have tried (90% of the time) to use Valero (personal US owned company) and get better MPG out of this than Cheveron, Shell or Exxon. Strange I guess.

I also make sure I don't get my RPM's about 1.9k - 2k, even while accelerating and shifting gears.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Need proof, I will take pictures at every quarter tank mark and prove it to you. Just give me 4-5 days.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
or the myth mod
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Thats awesome. I drive like a grandma and still cannot get better than 19 mpg. I guess I do have to travel through Seattle everyday, so it's not a straight shot at 60 mph.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
The only way to get that would be to drive 60mph till you run out of gas cause i dont think you cant afford any stop and go. LOL. Wow 400 plus is alot..
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
I used to get 400. I used to consistently get 21 mpg on long road trips. It's gone down to about 280 to a tank since all the mods.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacotrd View Post
The only way to get that would be to drive 60mph till you run out of gas cause i dont think you cant afford any stop and go. LOL. Wow 400 plus is alot..
I hit two bad spots on my drive where it is parking lot stop and go for about 2-3 miles each stretch. (170 and 114 in Roanoke Texas and then at 114 and hwy 26 near Grapevine TX (at the DFW airport traffic with construction). It's rough, but I am light on the pedal then too. Even when I sometimes have to pick up some speed and pass, I still try not to get above 2k rpm.

If you guys think I am pulling your leg, I will prove it on my next fill up. Pictures will be taken and posted.

Again, what is the size of the gas tank on this truck?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
It still doesn't make sense to list miles per tank.
MPG is the only way to figure out the mileage.

You don't see the vehicles on the showroom floor list as "Miles Per Tank." It's "Miles Per Gallon" (MPG) but maybe your math skills are lacking.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #20
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
It still doesn't make sense to list miles per tank.
MPG is the only way to figure out the mileage.

You don't see the vehicles on the showroom floor list as "Miles Per Tank." It's "Miles Per Gallon" (MPG) but maybe your math skills are lacking.
Calling me ignorant is a bit rude sir. I calculate miles per tank simply because at different times I drive differently. If I drove the same all day long, then yes I would calculate MPG.