Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Snorkel Installation: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
You could always rotate the snorkle opening around backwards. That's what the guys in our local group do...
i think i would be more inclined to do this in a very dusty situation as well.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #43
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
No, I doubt it hinders anything but you may loose that "ram air" affect, and your fuel mileage gains. The guys around here just keep it backwards through the winter then turn it back around during the summer months.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #44
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
it almost seems like that would be the way to go...what if you just left it backwards? it wouldnt hinder anything would it?
i think you'd get less of the "ram" effect and not see as good of mpgs, but i dont think it'd hurt anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #45
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
No, I doubt it hinders anything but you may loose that "ram air" affect, and your fuel mileage gains. The guys around here just keep it backwards through the winter then turn it back around during the summer months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i think you'd get less of the "ram" effect and not see as good of mpgs, but i dont think it'd hurt anything.
haha...same time
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #46
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
^^ even posted at the same minute, guess I was quicker on the enter button. lol
Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #47
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
It's strange on mine and there must be something loose. it is only at a small RPM range when the truck is cold. Do you have a auto or manual. I wonder if engine rock has something to do with the tranny type. Once the truck warms up all is gone usually after about 10 minutes of driving it around.

Thought about and saved the stock intake for the flex portion of it. That is going to be my second route if all else fails.

As far as water and the snorkel I still wonder about snow build up on the face of the snorkel in a blizzard while driving. I will have to keep an eye on that.
I'm auto and my engine doesn't vibrate when warming up at all nor does it while moving. What RPM are you idling at when warming up?

I was talking about it getting ripped off by the car wash.
I drove mine through rain and 60 mph winds with no issues today, but maybe in dry light snow I might turn it around.

Quote:
You could always rotate the snorkle opening around backwards. That's what the guys in our local group do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i think i would be more inclined to do this in a very dusty situation as well.
Bill Burke drives with his backwards all the time Not kidding.

For a good joke you could always tape someones snorkel shut after pouring down some sugar water
Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #48
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Joe just picked his up and we were talking about some things people might not wanna do now that they have these on their trucks.

#1: If you use a mechanical car wash - watch out - you might have an issue.

#2: When washing your car don't spray the hose in the intake.

Both common sense, but better to say something now.
Yea when I told my dad I was getting a snorkel he couldnt understand why I would do something that would create a funnel to my air intake
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #49
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
This would probably be some information you would want to get right from the manufacturer, but from their site:
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/product.htm

"All Safari Charge Air Rams feature a highly effective water separator system built right into the air ram in order to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms."

That would tell me that a mechanical car wash should not be an issue, hell, even shooting a hose at it by mistake shouldn't be an issue. I didn't get one of these yet, so I haven't looked at the internals... but based on what I am reading it should be able to keep water out of the engine even if it gets in the ram air part.

Here is a review:
http://www.landroverweb.com/landrove...d-rain-review/
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #50
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I'm auto and my engine doesn't vibrate when warming up at all nor does it while moving. What RPM are you idling at when warming up?

I was talking about it getting ripped off by the car wash.
I drove mine through rain and 60 mph winds with no issues today, but maybe in dry light snow I might turn it around.

Bill Burke drives with his backwards all the time Not kidding.

For a good joke you could always tape someones snorkel shut after pouring down some sugar water
I idle at 1200rpm at warm up. Hearing you have an auto as well I will be tearing the inner fender cover out to see what the hell is going on. Something is causing just need to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
This would probably be some information you would want to get right from the manufacturer, but from their site:

"All Safari Charge Air Rams feature a highly effective water separator system built right into the air ram in order to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms."

That would tell me that a mechanical car wash should not be an issue, hell, even shooting a hose at it by mistake shouldn't be an issue. I didn't get one of these yet, so I haven't looked at the internals... but based on what I am reading it should be able to keep water out of the engine even if it gets in the ram air part.

Here is a review:
Good Link give me a bit of piece of mind. But looking at the snorkel hood I cannot figure out how it would separate them. Must be an affect of the air being forced into the snorkel. It must move snow and water to the weep hole on the side of the hood. That's all I can figure out for now. Just glad to know it should not be an issue.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #51
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Ive never had a problem as far as driving in the rain with the snorkel, You can watch the water coming out of the holes in he bottom on the top piece. I wouldnt use a carwash and I try to keep from spraying with the hose when I wash the truck. Only time ive turned it around is when theres snow. I dont know if snows goin to be a problem with it forward but I rather be safe then sorry.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #52
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post

Here is a review:
Nice find John. I would only be concerned with the car wash ripping it off. I did a bunch of driving the other day in the rain and 70mph winds and didn't have any issues.

Quote:
I idle at 1200rpm at warm up. Hearing you have an auto as well I will be tearing the inner fender cover out to see what the hell is going on. Something is causing just need to figure it out.

Good Link give me a bit of piece of mind. But looking at the snorkel hood I cannot figure out how it would separate them. Must be an affect of the air being forced into the snorkel. It must move snow and water to the weep hole on the side of the hood. That's all I can figure out for now. Just glad to know it should not be an issue.
I checked my idle yesterday, but after a long day of trail riding and longer night of boozing it up I forgot what I was at

I would just make sure you have clearance for the snorkel and that your motor mounts are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07taco View Post
Ive never had a problem as far as driving in the rain with the snorkel, You can watch the water coming out of the holes in he bottom on the top piece. I wouldnt use a carwash and I try to keep from spraying with the hose when I wash the truck. Only time ive turned it around is when theres snow. I dont know if snows goin to be a problem with it forward but I rather be safe then sorry.
Yea, Ill be turning mine around when it snows the light fluffy stuff.

When I was out yesterday I put the truck through the paces on trail and didn't have any issues with vibes or anything and I was hitting the trails hard and fast.

I did notice a slight gain in noise made by the snorkel when I jumped on the gas. Not sure about performance, but the truck did feel a little more peppy punching the gas from 40mph on. Maybe ram air affect maybe it's all in my head
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #53
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK. Did some poking around yesterday and had my wife jump on the gas while I looked under the hood. the Engine barely moves. Even had her throw it in reverse, keep the brake on, and give it some gas to cause the drivetrain to move. It didn't. So I know all the motor mounts are good.

So today I got supplies - Black Silicone, window flashing (not as cool as yours because I could not find anything without the Aluminum backing), and some new wheel well push pins to hold that plastic fender in place. After opening it up I had no loose nuts and I played around in the fender trying to find something loose. Actually the blue fender flare inserts moved the most so after getting all the flashing in place I topped each blue insert with some ATV to lock them in place. Siliconed around the snorkel itself on the outside (the backside close to the door takes a ton of silicone to fill) and placed flashing in the engine bay side of the opening to seal it off.

Took it for a good drive after that and it seemed to be even quieter. No vibe issues or anything. So the real test will be in the morning when it is a full cold start.

Thanks for the extra tips on the install and hopefully I will have this licked and can move on to the extra project. T case Skid Plate from ATO.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #54
He who walk with a Cane

***Update***

Running smooth today. Must have just been loose parts rattling a bit and when I tacked everything down yesterday the problems went away. Now we will see what sort of fuel economy I can get out of it.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #55
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
***Update***

Running smooth today. Must have just been loose parts rattling a bit and when I tacked everything down yesterday the problems went away. Now we will see what sort of fuel economy I can get out of it.
,Good to see you got everything worked out.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #56
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
***Update***

Good to hear.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #57
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
what are the rivets for? I cant find anything mentioning them in the install...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #58
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
do you guys thing I should wait until I get the front (relentless) and rear (ato wrap around) bumpers to install the snorkel? I keep thinking it will look dorky without any of those. haha
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #59
He who walk with a Cane

Then you will have 3 big projects. I say knock the snorkel out now so you have less to do when the bumpers show up. Who cares what others think you know what you have planned and how it will look in the end.

Products Discussed in this Thread