Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Snorkel Installation: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #581
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to fill all your holes

So I hit some deep stuff that was over my passenger side bumper and 1/2 way up the headlight yesterday and this is what I found today when I removed my intake for the "Max window" mod

Be sure to fill up ALL the holes in the intake because all that crud was from this little guy I forgot to seal up

Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #582
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at that makes me want to go double check for any little holes I missed...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #583
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Looking at that makes me want to go double check for any little holes I missed...

just don't get water up over your bumper and you should be OK

but yea....check them. I have no idea how I missed mine.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #584
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
and fixed + now I can on my filter

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #585
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Haha that looks a bit better than mine.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #586
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Haha that looks a bit better than mine.
Thanks for the tip on the filter depth. I took dimensions of the filter and transferred them so I didn't hit it.

If I did it again it would be much nicer - I was stuck with hand tools for the hole. I also had to offset the screws because I had nothing to chip the rear fins down with so my screws are in between them. Blew my dremmel out cutting someones rear quarter panels for a high clearance bumper

Joe
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #587
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Thanks for the tip on the filter depth. I took dimensions of the filter and transferred them so I didn't hit it.

If I did it again it would be much nicer - I was stuck with hand tools for the hole. I also had to offset the screws because I had nothing to chip the rear fins down with so my screws are in between them. Blew my dremmel out cutting someones rear quarter panels for a high clearance bumper

Joe
No worries. Dremel?! Damn that's a hell of a job for a dremel, poor thing.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #588
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all! I'm getting ready to do mine in the next day or so! I'm gonna do some reading first though and hopefully get it right the first time. I think I'm gonna steal the window idea too.

Be ready for some questions and alot of pics...I AM A PIC WHORE!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #589
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
No worries. Dremel?! Damn that's a hell of a job for a dremel, poor thing.
yea...after 7 snorkels installs, cutting off 2 rear fenders, and a ton of home stuff it saw it's last days

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Hey all! I'm getting ready to do mine in the next day or so! I'm gonna do some reading first though and hopefully get it right the first time. I think I'm gonna steal the window idea too.

Be ready for some questions and alot of pics...I AM A PIC WHORE!

That's the "Max window" the above member in my quote was the first I have seen do it so credit is due to him.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #590
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's the "Max window" the above member in my quote was the first I have seen do it so credit is due to him.
Abso-fucking-lutely! I have been following Max's build. Awesome pics of wheeling too!

I think I will go with the basic rectangle though, New York seems like a PITA to cut out!

Your straight-shooting in this thread has made alot of sense out of the snorkel install also. Reps to you too!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #591
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Abso-fucking-lutely! I have been following Max's build. Awesome pics of wheeling too!

I think I will go with the basic rectangle though, New York seems like a PITA to cut out!

Your straight-shooting in this thread has made alot of sense out of the snorkel install also. Reps to you too!

glad my strait shooting is actually doing some good. it usually gets me in trouble in TW
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #592
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
glad my strait shooting is actually doing some good. it usually gets me in trouble in TW
I've eaten my shoes here and there, but there is normally no MIS-communication. My wife and daughter (step) will vouch for that!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #593

LOL too bad I put the Nevada window backwards.

Good luck with the install and thanks for the compliments!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #594
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my install is complete. Some ups, some downs. Now that it's done, I think there are a few things I would do differently, but for now it works for me!

Pics are loading to Easy Share as we speak! I won't go through all the details, but just some of the points that stick out in my mind.

I started at noon with a ripping headache. On the verge of some Vicodin and a muscle relaxer, but I'll suffer for now, power tools you know! Finished right at 5:30.

The tabs that hold the inner liner kicked my ass. I have no feeling in my thumb and first two fingers on my left hand. (blew a disc in my neck and impacted my spinal cord better than 50%. disc is replace but now I get pretty good headaches pretty regularly...enough of that, just an expaination, no pity!!!) Anyhow, broke a couple of the tabs that hold the flare on, no problem, the local body shop gave me a couple.

The templates both matched up along with the original install method. I also used XXXX's method of a 4th check with the studs to match the marks, no wax or paint, just visual. All good, center punched all marks and started drilling. I used a 3 1/2" hole saw with the intention of using the cutoff wheels to trim and/or enlarge the main hole, wasn't needed. Checked the fit then drill the stud holes with a unibit. It worked excellent with clean holes, no burrs. Dremeled the edges inside and out, then brushed on primer and used a bottle of touch up paint coat to finish.

While waiting on the paint to dry, went to town and got the flare tabs that I fucked up, freebies are good! Also picked up an extra tube of black RTV. Again, thanks to XXXX!, RTV'ed all the holes and started to mount the snorkel. I did trim the connector to the point it bottomed out on the snorkel, and looking back I should have read further and trimmed some off the snorkel itself. I did end up cutting and rolling back the inside of the quarter to make it fit. I did get it in, and I'm not taking it apart again, but it made for some ugliness. I can live with it.

I may have more RTV on me than the holes in my fender, but I did get everything bolted up inside the fender, what a clusterfuck when you can't feel the nuts threading on! But it is done and tight.

Now for the mess under the hood! I used a conglomeration of PVC and ferncos.(?) I did add the window to the airbox, along with a preoiled K&N I had sitting aside.

THEN...4"x3" pvc coupling RTV'd and screwed to the airbox. I did have to cut off the ring that holds the old line in place for the coupler to fit. It is quite snug and sealed! I did not forget the two holes in the box either. (not bad for a dope smoker!) Next is a short piece of 3" into a 3" street 90* into a 90*fernco over the adapter from the snorkel. It's quite an abortion to look at, but it is sealed well enough to stall the motor when capping the top of the inlet.

Once again, following XXXX's example, I put a bead of RTV around the top adge and front of the snorkel to keep shit out, but left the bottom open for draining any shit that gets in there. I do need to seal the fender opening where I cut-to-fit, but at this point I was feeling the stray drop of rain and watching the clouds roll in.

I may go back and rething the underhood strategy, but for now I'm good with it. Pics coming up.

Feel free to flame away...I've been married twice and I can take it.

I also have all my mileage tracking, but I will put that up in the other thread.

MY GOD, I haven't typed this much since fucking high school!

Work station

new tape and dremel stuff, my supply was low

New template

Old one matches the new one

The shitz!

Great fit

Primed and painted

FUGLY...I should've read further...

New tabs for the flare

Bolted on

Out side is complete

Modding the box...HMMM...nice box

I keep a spare K&N oiled and on hand. BTW, the lexan was a freebie too.

The rest of my under-hood abortion. It's tight!

RTV'd

What I was racing the last 20min. or so!!!

Now to clean up my "shop"

Another look, I'll peel the tape when I'm done with the typing and pic whoring!

Can I be proud?

Thanks for all the help you guys! I wouldn't have had the balls to cut into my truck without it!

I gotta give the glory and honor to my Lord also! Couldn't have done it without His help either!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #595
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I do need to seal off the fender now. I gotta see what that flashing is you guys used.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #596
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good John!

I just used single sided black window flashing from a big box store and cleaned all the metal with alcohol before installing it so it got a good clean grip on the paint.

Keep an eye on your fittings after you put a couple miles on the truck and check to make sure everything is tight and didn't loosen. If you getting to much vibration through the pvc try a 3" - 4" rubber fernco to attach the PVC to the OE intake.

If you want to check and see if you got a good seal at your connections you can block off the fan with some cardboard and put a smoke pen to it and see if it sucks the smoke in.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #597

Gotta say reading that gave me a smile. Nice work. Good thing you added a window, that looks like a PITA to pull the filter

I used Gorilla tape FWIW, stuff is incredibly strong and sticky. Put it on both sides, still there and I'm not running fender liners.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #598
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks you guys!

Removal of the filter isn't too bad. The furncos make it pretty easy. The whole assembly is removable at the rubber 90*.

If I keep it the way it is, I'll glue all the PVC and get it painted.

Gotta get to work now!

Oh, I also gotta redo the RTV around the outside, I peeled the tape too early last night an frigged it up. It didn't set well in the wet and cold.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #600
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
That was just what I needed, I've got a few weeks until I do mine. Always nice to see it over, and over, and over, and over again. . . Boosts the confidence

That being said, 2012 fenders are cheap right ?? haha

Products Discussed in this Thread