So today I got my snorkel on, but not fully hooked up yet. I ran out of time because I started late, cleaned everything I took off, & did some other stuff. Ill have the exhaust pipe at 8am tomorrow and show some finished pics inside the engine bay then.
Mud water almost into my filter with the stock intake. Good timing on the snorkel.
Fill this hole
Poke some holes in the center line of the template holes - use these holes to mark the fender with a permanent marker.
Use the stock template (Hilux) to double check the modified template for any transposition errors. Also use this template to get the cut out location to enlarge the 3-5/8" hole.
Install the two bolts farthest back towards the cab. I put wax on the tips so it would transfer to the truck.
Test fit. Wax landed right where my original marks were.
Now it's time to tape everything up and get to putting some holes in the fender. I did not use a hole saw for the 3-5/8" hole. I free handed it with a cut off blade on my Dremel. I was going to use a hole saw, but the fender isn't flat. I also drilled this hole before the others. This let me check their placement with wax one last time very accurately before drilling them.
Test fit time. I cut off about 4" of hose test fitting till I bottomed the tube out on the snorkel and decided to enlarge the intake hole in the engine bay. Now that I look back at it, maybe the key to proper placement within the stock intake hole might be to actually trim some off of the snorkel so it sits farther back. Not sure yet, but Ill try it with the next install and report back.
I started the five holes with a 3/16" bit and worked up to a 1/2" bit (directions call for 5/8"). Then I used my Dremel with a 1/2" stone to elongate the holes horizontally for some play. As you can see I slipped and scuffed some paint on the lower one. After filing all the holes down I used Duplicolor primer to cover the exposed metal. It dries quick and adheres good + I had it laying around. Make sure to get the back of the holes as well.
Taped off the perimeter of the snorkel and applied DOW 795 structural silicone to each hole and the perimeter of the large hole.
Little more on the snorkel for good measure.
Marked and drilled the a-pillar holes. I started with a small bit and worked up to a 5/16". Then more primer. I filled the brush up with paint and loaded up the backside to make sure I covered the metal good.
Inserted the screw plugs.
The screw plugs give the snorkel a nice little gap from your a-pillar so it's not taking off paint with vibrations.
There are gaps where the body doers not line up 100% with the snorkel so I taped it off good and applied some more DOW 795 to the perimeter. This should also keep the weather out and it will cure to a flat finish.
Threw some more DOW on the stock intake and also on the 3" to 4" coupler then installed it and clamped it down.
Lines up good enough for me.
Fender shot with caulk and primer everywhere.
Parked and done for the night.
Think I need some black fenders now